RIP PntrDave (Dave Davis)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP PntrDave (Dave Davis)

It was with a very heavy heart that I learned this morning that our good friend and riding buddy, Dave Davis (PntrDave), lost his battle with lung cancer yesterday at the way-too-young age of 52.

For those of us who had the privilege of meeting, riding with, and getting to know Dave we'll miss a warm-hearted, friendly, and likeable guy who knew how to laugh, ride, and have fun! Rest in peace, Dave, my friend ... you will be greatly missed at the GSR rallies you loved to attend!

EDIT:

After reading Dave's obituary I see that his funeral will be held outside of Galesburg, IL this Wednesday at 3pm (presumably with the burial to follow). I am contemplating riding my GS out to the service and burial as a final tribute to our friend, and wondered if anybody else would be interested in doing the same? I think it would please Dave greatly if we are able to pull this off! Please post here if you are within shooting distance and want to make the run (weather permitting, of course - the last thing Dave would want is somebody getting hurt because of inclement weather).

Thanks everyone!

UPDATE - Monday June 28: We now have several people planning to attend the funeral, most on their bikes. The weather is supposed to be picture perfect - a fitting send off for Dave! I am also planning (with the family and funeral home's permission) to say a few short words at the service regarding Dave's GSR involvement and the worldwide family of friends he impacted while feeding his love of motorcycles and riding. The funeral home has indicated that there is no problem on their part if one or more of us wants to speak about Dave, so I would encourage anyone else who is so inclined to do the same - I'm sure his family will appreciate knowing just how far Dave's friendship and influence extended in his short life...

The funeral home address is:
    120 S Public Square
    Knoxville, IL 61448
    Phone #: 309-289-4121

Service is at 3pm with burial to follow - I figure Dave can take one last "ride" with our GSR family to the cemetary, where I also understand there will be military rites conducted.

Regards,
    Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 10:54 AM.

I can't believe this there were so many of us that just rode with him not three months ago. Such a good soul and this is a horrible shame. We've lost a fine member and a damn good human being as far as I can say. He will be missed

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post
      It was with a very heavy heart
      Steve,

Sincere condolences to you and all who met and knew Dave. I never did.... My loss...I enjoyed all his contributions here. He seemed like a hell-of-a-guy.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

That's terrible. So young. I pass along my condolences to all concerned. Life just isn't fair sometimes......

Comment

Dang! Thats just awful. RIP Dave. Prayers ent.
          EULC ON

Comment

I never had the chance to meet Dave. I wish I had.

It's always terrible to see someone pass away so young.

My condolences and prayers go out to his family.

Comment

Tammy and I spent a wonderful Saturday at Brown Co. riding with Dave. I hope he enjoyed it as much as we did. He was a fine man with a great sense of humor and was always ready with a story or two.

We will miss riding with him.

Here's Dave supervising while I install a new air fitting on the GK shock.

At the Medora Covered Bridge.

Last edited by Larry D; 06-28-2010, 02:33 PM.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Nice pics
                Bummer about such an early death.
                RIP Dave.
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I never met Dave or was lucky enough to ride with him. But like so many others we have lost at the GSR, I truly enjoyed the posts and friendship of him here.
                  Ride to Glory PntrDave
                  Doug aka crag antler

83GS1100E, gone
                  2000 Kawasaki Concours
                  Please wear ATGATT

Comment

Semper Fi, my friend.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Comment

Life can be just shyte sometimes.

I did not have the pleasure to meet Dave and did not need to meet him to know this is just shyte.

Ride on to glory PntrDave!
                        It's smoke that make electronic components work.
                        Every time I've let the smoke out by mistake, they never work again.
                        '80 GS250T... long gone... And back!
                        '86 Honda Bol D'Or... very sadly long gone
                        '82 GS1000SZ
                        '82 GS1100GL
                        '01 Honda CBR1100XX BlackBird

Comment

After reading Dave's obituary I see that his funeral will be held outside of Galesburg, IL this Wednesday at 3pm (presumably with the burial to follow). I am contemplating riding my GS out to the service and burial as a final tribute to our friend, and wondered if anybody else would be interested in doing the same? I think it would please Dave greatly if we are able to pull this off! Please post here if you are within shooting distance and want to make the run (weather permitting, of course - the last thing Dave would want is somebody getting hurt because of inclement weather).

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
                          Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2010, 09:58 PM.

Comment

Never got the chance to meet PntrDave but did follow most of his threads on here. Seems like we have lost a really good guy. Rest in peace dave.
                            I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
                            1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by Planecrazy View Post

Thanks everyone!

Regards,
                              If I were up there, I would be there.
                              sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                              2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                              X