Memories of Dave (pntrdave)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memories of Dave (pntrdave)

I am starting a new thread for those of us fortunate enough to know Dave Davis to post some memories. Frank can move it if he feels it is worthy. I first met Dave in 2006 at Roaring River campground in the Missouri Ozarks on my first long trip. I will never forget rolling into the campground and seeing a banner proclaiming the "2nd annual GS Resources rally" next to a tent. Beside the tent was a GS?? (later determined to be a 1000) obviously hand painted and drooling every fluid it contained. I'm thinking "he rode this bike here from where?" I pulled up and Dave emerged from the tent "Howdy and Welcome. I'm Dave, pntrdave on the GSR." We introduced ourselves and sat down at a picnic table and in less than 30 minutes he had me laughing so hard tears were rolling. That is the man he was. We never met a female from waitress to postmistress that Dave didn't #1 Compliment and #2 determine if she was available. More will come to me later but feel free to offer your memories of a good man gone too soon here. Thanks, Scott
    sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
    2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Had to go way back in photobucket to get some pics from that 2006 Missouri/Arkansas rally.

willt on the left and Dave on the right talking bikes.

Dave hamming it up at the Eureka Springs railroad museum.

Dave's "custom" 1000 on the left, my 850G on the right.

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'm a space cadet! I completely forgot that it was the 2nd Annual GSR Convention and not the first one (which sadly I missed)! I'll be back in awhile with more memories of this gala event with Dave, not the least of which was the excitement his son Andy added to the event by wrecking a bicycle, his dad's (Dave's) pickup truck (as an alternative to creaming a minivan with mom and kids in it that pulled out in front of him), and almost himself!

Easygoing Dave managed to laugh off all of this misfortune. We had a nice ride home together after the convention, when I loaded all his stuff (except the loads of firewood he hauled down) into my Ford Excursion and trailered his bike back (along with my own, of course)... we had laughs and great riding at that event, and I had the good fortune to meet and ride with Dave several more times through the years - He'll be greatly missed, not only at the rallies he loved, but also here in the forum!

Ride on, Dave, my friend!
      Last edited by Guest; 06-28-2010, 11:12 PM.

Comment

There is a special tribute thread as well. Scott, thanks for finding and sharing the pictures. It is so sad. We truely are a family here at the GSR. It hurts when one of us is gone. Prayers go out to the family.

Comment

My memories of Dave start last year at the BC Rally. We had all just sloshed our way through the hills of Indiana after a night of epic rain and were taking off gear, hanging in the gravel lot at The Story Inn and talking....when we all heard the sounds of what sounded like a motorcycle coming apart at the seams !!!! It was a very loud ticking, clunking rapping horrible sound. It drew closer and closer and finally we figured out it was Dave rolling in on his bike. His bike ran fine all weekend and led our group of low and slow riders on a fine route through Brown Co. After he got it home...yes....he rode it all the way back to IL.....he found out that one of the cam cap bolts had stripped and the other was barely hanging on. The best thing is that bike ran like a champ the whole time. His bike would've never won a beauty contest, but, they ran and he really enjoyed them.

This year, my wife, myself and Dave made our own little group of low and slow riders and had another great Saturday riding the hills of southern Indiana, visiting the Medora Covered Bridge, getting lost a couple times and searching for motorcycle shop that seemed to be hidden on a deserted back road. We finally found it and was able to get my air shock fixed on the GK. This year he was on a 750T, he said he didn't really like that bike, he said it would get up and go, but, with the single front disk and drum rear brakes, it just would stop his girth the way he would like.

When we were leaving Sunday morning, he was the last guy shake our hands.....actually....I think he gave my wife a big hug....that's Dave....anyway, we hadn't got around to getting Tammy any gloves at that point....the last thing he said before we rode off was, " Get that pretty lady some gloves !!"

Hope he's having fun riding the streets of Heaven.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Another thing that struck me about Dave was how resourceful he was. As the Missouri rally was winding down I realized that Dave had a several hundred mile ride back to Illinois on a bike with a home made luggage rack fashioned from All thread rod. He has a tent big enough for a double air mattress, the air mattress, cooler, pillow,clothing and a 20" box fan! He had a plan though, he had brought a duffle bag from his Marine days to mail his clothes home in. Turned out he had bought the fan after arriving and gave it away. I had to leave before he packed up but I'm quite sure his rig was a sight to see. To my knowledge he made it home just fine and no doubt enjoyed the ride!

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Originally posted by marvinsc View Post
              Another thing that struck me about Dave was how resourceful he was. As the Missouri rally was winding down I realized that Dave had a several hundred mile ride back to Illinois on a bike with a home made luggage rack fashioned from All thread rod. He has a tent big enough for a double air mattress, the air mattress, cooler, pillow,clothing and a 20" box fan! He had a plan though, he had brought a duffle bag from his Marine days to mail his clothes home in. Turned out he had bought the fan after arriving and gave it away. I had to leave before he packed up but I'm quite sure his rig was a sight to see. To my knowledge he made it home just fine and no doubt enjoyed the ride!
              That would have been quite a sight, Scott, but Dave didn't ride home from the Missouri rally. After his truck was totalled, I offered to take Dave and Andy back to Galesburg and trailer his bike next to mine. He took me up on the offer and we spent some "quality time" making our way back to his house. I got to meet his dog, hang out for a few minutes, and then headed off for the last four hours home to my side of the state, hehe!

Regards,

Comment

Different year Steve. The truck incident was 2005.That was the year Patti drove all the way fron Arizona towing a camper with the wrong size ball hitch. This was 2006. The only attendees were Dave, willt, Mike Dole, Myself and Crystal (chattychris) drove down and ate with us at the lodge one night.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Different year Steve. The truck incident was 2005.That was the year Patti drove all the way fron Arizona towing a camper with the wrong size ball hitch. This was 2006. The only attendees were Dave, willt, Mike Dole, Myself and Crystal (chattychris) drove down and ate with us at the lodge one night.
                  Ah, yes ... correct you are, Scott - I missed too many of these, Pal! Thanks for the clarification!

Comment

Another thing I remember about Dave is he loved to eat ALMOST as much as he loved to ride. I don't think anyone enjoyed the Breakfast at the Story Inn each year at the BC rally more than Dave. This shot is from last year, 2009.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Due to work, I couldn't get to the rally in Missouri until the last Saturday. I loaded up the bike and made the 650 mile trip anyway, hoping to meet some of the colorful characters that grace the forums in GS-land. I found Marvinsc at a motel as he was preparing to leave (can you say "yellow helmet"), and he took me down to the campsite, where Dave was indeed trying to load up a truckload of gear (on a bike). He gave that box fan to me, along with a few other things, including his beautiful laminated map of the area. I was a little worried when I saw his bike, wondering to myself if it would make the trip home. Even though it wasn't "concours" quality, Dave was proud of his bike and trusted it completely. He gave me a recap of how the rally had gone, grinning from ear to ear as he remembered each detail. He also gave me tips on the best places to see in area, and I could see he was happy for the role he served in setting up the rally. After he was gone, I spent the rest of the day riding the wonderful terrain.

I saw Dave again at the Brown County Rally (the following year?). Again, due to work, I could only come for a day. He and Marvinsc remembered me, and it was fun to sit and listen to the stories. He and his bike were still plugging along, and he was content with that.

I was saddened to hear of his "falling off the wagon", as well as his brake-induced falling off the bike, but I knew his Santa Clause smile wouldn't be dampened too long. In fact, I think he was smiling more than Scotty in those pics. OUCH!

If only duct tape and baling wire could be used to hold our bodies together, I'm sure Dave would still be here today: he would have made that work. I like to think that when we get to the Big Rally, he'll be waiting there with a pot of coffee and his trademark cheerful smile.

Comment

Sure was goood to see these pics of Dave...
                        Lucky for him that he died... I sort of had a thing for him...
                        That could have been worse than death.
                        Hope you're still laughing up there Dave... Miss ya.
                        pmint

Comment

I have no doubt Dave is smiling. Me and Mark Wells had a good conversation one night at the Indiana rally about our memories. He brought a lot of joy to folks who had the pleasure to meet him.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I have no doubt Dave is smiling. Me and Mark Wells had a good conversation one night at the Indiana rally about our memories. He brought a lot of joy to folks who had the pleasure to meet him.
                            My girlfriend and I had a couple great weekends with him. He was such a character and just could make a guy laugh.

Comment

I was cleaning out my inbox yesterday. I came across a message from Dave. I admit it made me stop in my tracks and just remember. It is amazing how just a few words on a screen can touch you so.

I finished cleaning my inbox, but left Dave's message there. I couldn't bring myself to delete it.

Comment

Working...
                              X