1979 gs550l

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1979 gs550l

Picked her up for a couple hundred bucks. Was in running/riding condition, but ran very poorly. Currently waiting for parts to rebuild the carbs Ordered cycleorings parts and made a nice order on bikebandit.com for a manual and some other stuff. Project is going to be a bobber/chop. If it doesnt make it go faster, louder, or lighter its being removed!

Couple of questions.

-I want to run individual air filters on each carb. Any recommendations? OR take the factory 4-1 airbox and put a cone on the end of it? ideas?

-modified exhaust will also be installed, probably straight pipes. Any carb issues i will need to address if i do both these mods?

any input is appreciated.

Just a warning prepare to be blasted. That said, Hit search in each of the forum areas you asked about. There is a ton of information about putting on pods in the technical forums. An on going debate on this site about whether or not Pods are worth it or not. Some have had great success with no issues some have had nothing but problems. The debate rages. But as far as the Carbs go do a search in that forum it should provide you the answer for both your questions. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Redneck View Post
      Just a warning prepare to be blasted. That said, Hit search in each of the forum areas you asked about. There is a ton of information about putting on pods in the technical forums. An on going debate on this site about whether or not Pods are worth it or not. Some have had great success with no issues some have had nothing but problems. The debate rages. But as far as the Carbs go do a search in that forum it should provide you the answer for both your questions. Good luck.
      Redneck speaks sooth, be careful what you ask for opinions on. Not that that matters so much lol. Good luck on your bike, yet another 550L - great machine!
      "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Wow. All i have to say is wow. I finally got this thing running well enough to take around the block a few times.

This. Bike. Rocks!

I have a 2009 Triumph Street Triple that was my daily rider for a couple months(actually put about 6K miles on it last year from late may to december), I can easily say this bike puts just a big a smile on my face. Theres something about riding a 30+ year old bike that fires up on the first kick. Yes, i am ecstatic that it has a functional kickstart.

List of things to repair/fix before i can consider my new to me GS a reliable ride;

-Replace rear brake master cylinder with one that is not currently leaking, bleed system, replace pads and replace/resurface rear rotor.
        -Replace/resurface front rotor.
        -Clean up ignition wiring, pretty much make things looking more clean.
        -DETAILDETAILDETAIL!!!

Im sold, best 400 bucks i have spent all year.

Comment

Working...
        X