Auto-Rx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auto-Rx

My machine has about 18,000 original miles on it. It was in storage since about 1989 in a controlled environment. It's in spectacular shape no rotted tires or anything. I had the carburetors cleaned and for some reason the CDI had to be replaced. The guy that worked on it said it fired right up.

It runs great..sort of. It starts fine. Having a little problem with it idling here and there..seems like I am messing with the idle screw way too much. It shifts a little hard..I have fresh oil and I plan to change it after my next very long ride. I have owned it since it was about a year old and changed the oil religiously every 1000 miles.

What do you guys think about putting Auto-Rx into my 1980 GS550E? Anybody have any experience with this product on a motorcycle?

According to their website, they say its safe for motorcyles with a wet clutch. If you want, give it a try. I've never used any of these type of additives in my bikes or cars so I can't comment on their effectiveness.

It's in spectacular shape no rotted tires or anything.
    Tires from 1989 need to be changed, no matter how good they look.

Comment

Yes, please change those tires. Scroll down a little in this link and you can figure out how old there are.

Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Any kind of oil additives are frowned upon as a general rule It sounds like they did not do a complete carb clean.. Did they replace the Intake (this is mandatory) O rings ? You could also have air leaks in the airbox

Comment

The intakes were replaced with new ones and with new o rings. Not sure about the air box.

Comment

Yes the tires are at least 20 years old. They have absolutely no cracks on them at all. I know they should be replaced...I will get around to it...but it's hard to justify when they look new.

Comment

I will get around to it...but it's hard to justify when they look new.
              Hopefully you will be ABLE to get around.

Comment

Originally posted by 081dbx64 View Post
                Yes the tires are at least 20 years old. They have absolutely no cracks on them at all. I know they should be replaced...I will get around to it...but it's hard to justify when they look new.
                let me help you with that, when tires are perfect and they are 7 years old, THEY BLOW. now if you have any value on your life, replace the tires. ever blown a tire at 70mph on a bike? neither have i , BECAUSE I REPLACE MY OLD TIRESSSSSS...
                ok back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Comment

Ok. Now you are freaking me out. I have to change my chain and sprocket so might as well change the tires. Any suggestions on tires and where to buy?

Comment

Anything new will be light years ahead of what you have. Avon Road Riders are highly recommended around here, as well as a few others. Do a forum search for tires, you'll turn up about a millions hits. It's been very thoroughly discussed, several times.

I had some old funky Dunlops on my bike when I first got it. They looked just fine, but I slid around like I was on ice with those things. No braking ability, no cornering ability. Slapped on a set of Pirelli Sport Demons, and it completely changed the character of the bike. Do the tires before you ride it, your life's not worth it.

As far as the Auto-RX goes, your bike shouldn't need any additional additives if you change the oil regularly. My opinion is that most of the snake oil they sell at auto parts stores is just that, and more or less completely worthless. Sludge and gunk usually only occurs if you don't change the oil, or overheat the crap out of the motor.

Comment

+1 on changing tires.
                      +1 on carb cleaning

the shifting ability on my bike depends a lot on what oil i use so i would suggest to use the correct viscosity and experiment with composition (non-, semi-or fully- syntetic)
                      GS850GT

Comment

No on the oil additives, yes on doing your own maintenance. I seriously doubt your "CDI" was bad (BTW, GS bikes don't have CDI's) and your carbs are likely still not clean. Sorry to say but this story is a recurring theme around here; lots of bad mechanics around.

Hot tip on the oil front is to use diesel engine oil. Way cheaper than motorcycle specific oil, and it has more of the "good stuff" than auto oil these days (the formula's of which have changed due to emissions concerns).

Enjoy you bike.
                        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Your idling issues still sound like air leaks. Carb O rings make a difference.
                          sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Working...
                          X