Correct seat bracket position for a '80 GS550L

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct seat bracket position for a '80 GS550L

I have 2 seats and each one will only mount with one or the other bracket position. The front mount is the same but one seat frame is longer. Which bracket position is correct for a 1980 GS550L. First pic or second pic?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Hi,

Hmmm, according to the parts fiche picture, neither is correct.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
    Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2010, 01:32 AM.

Comment

I looked at 3 different online fiches couple of weeks ago when I purchased the second seat and they all show the same picture. I believe 3 and 9 are upside down, 8 mounts above 9 and 7 mounts under 3. Actually 7 seems unnecessary. I do not see how the seat would mount with the rear bracket pieces mounted in the order and orientation shown in the picture.
      Last edited by Guest; 07-06-2010, 03:27 PM. Reason: added info

Comment

Picture two tab towards back matches my 550L for what its worth.

Comment

Originally posted by machinest View Post
          Picture two tab towards back matches my 550L for what its worth.
          I think yours is correct. That's the way mine was when I got it, with a custom reupholstered seat. When I purchased a used step seat which was supposed top be off a 550L I had to flip the bracket around because it was shorter. The fiche on bikebandit for the 1980 750L looks like the correct bracket/lock order but has the tab forward (part 5 in link below). The 750L seat has a different part number but the brackets are the same. I wonder if the stepped seat I purchased is off a 750L.

Comment

Working...
          X