Help with First fork oil chg 81 GS550T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with First fork oil chg 81 GS550T

Hi, I am changing my (I believe) original fork oil this weekend on my near pristine low mileage (4800mi) bike. I've removed the left fork and drained the oil, which wasn't really that bad, and now need to refill it. At the top of the fork was a plastic cap I removed and below that looks like a quarter sitting in the tube with a tiny 1/4" x 1/16" pry hole that I'm trying not to damage. Any ideas? I've read the manuals and they all say to remove the Fork Cap BOLT.. of which I have none...
    bewildered...
    Mike
    Pic attached

Thanks in advance....

You need to push down on the aluminum disc & remove the c clip at the top of it that is holding it in place. Also, try using the SEARCH feature here to find answers before posting. Welcome to the site. Ray.

Comment

Thanks Ray. Kept searching and found just what you said, but about a GS850. I'm going to try it now with a friend, but my concern is after getting it out, how do I get it back in? Do I need to remove the allen screw at the bottom of the forks?

Comment

Have your friend push down on that disc with a screwdriver while you pick out the C clip with a very small screwdriver. Once the clip is out the disc/cap will come out, and then the springs. You don't have to mess with the allen head screw on the bottom of the forks to change the fork oil.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. mmills37,

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

And don't do what I did. Make sure you have enough fork oil BEFORE you take the front end apart. GRRR.
            The Three Horsemen
            '85 GS1150ES (Current Income Eater)
            '83 GS1100ES
            ‘77 XLCR

"Never ride faster than you can see. Besides, it's all in the reflexes."
            Porkchop Express

Comment

I was able to press down the cap using a big c clamp. Otherwise you need 3 hands to do it.

Comment

Thanks guys. Once I knew to depress the disc, the C clip did come right out.. fresh oil in 30 yr old forks... little soft, so next time I'll go with 15w. This time I had 10w on hand. What's cool is, next time they don't even have to come OFF THE BIKE!! Now that's 'good-ole' design.

Comment

Working...
                X