Doing a gsxr conversion? Please read this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doing a gsxr conversion? Please read this

I'm adding a gsxr frontend to my 80 gs 1100 plus Bandit wheels, swingarm, switches & gauges + gsxr foot gear & it suddenly strikes me how critical all these parts are. If I put a washer in the wrong place, if I don't get a bolt tightened properly, if my brake pedal isn't within easy reach, I could..............lock up a tire at 150 kph, have my front end come loose, etc, etc.

My point is....if you are doing this conversion, please keep in mind how all the new parts must work perfectly together.
    With my conversion, I have had to literally engineer & manufacture some of the critical components. Are they perfect? Will they work safely? I will get it all together, then gingerly begin testing it at slow speeds till I am sure I can go faster.
    While we are not re-inventing the wheel, we are using parts that were never meant for our bikes. Even if this message has been posted before, I feel it needed to be repeated.

Good luck to all & remember, safety first.

Cheers, Paul
    80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

most of the gsxr stuff is a direct bolt on a GS so why would you get a washer in the wrong place or a spacer? no difference to rebuilding any bike parts
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Solid advice in any situation.

Now, that said--Nasty, take a deep breath. You're going to be alright. This isn't anything you haven't done before, just newer parts.

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
      I'm adding a gsxr frontend to my 80 gs 1100 plus Bandit wheels, swingarm, switches & gauges + gsxr foot gear & it suddenly strikes me how critical all these parts are. If I put a washer in the wrong place, if I don't get a bolt tightened properly, if my brake pedal isn't within easy reach, I could..............lock up a tire at 150 kph, have my front end come loose, etc, etc.

My point is....if you are doing this conversion, please keep in mind how all the new parts must work perfectly together.
      With my conversion, I have had to literally engineer & manufacture some of the critical components. Are they perfect? Will they work safely? I will get it all together, then gingerly begin testing it at slow speeds till I am sure I can go faster.
      While we are not re-inventing the wheel, we are using parts that were never meant for our bikes. Even if this message has been posted before, I feel it needed to be repeated.

Good luck to all & remember, safety first.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

Agemax, read my post again. Although there are many parts that bolt right on, there are many more that don't. I have been riding/building for 40+ years. There is a significant number of challenges in any build. You need to ensure everything works together & the way it was designed to.
        80 gs1100 16-v ported & polished, 1 mm oversize intake valves, 1150 carbs w/Dynojet stage 3, plus Bandit/gsxr upgrades

Comment

Originally posted by nastyjones View Post
          Agemax, read my post again. Although there are many parts that bolt right on, there are many more that don't. I have been riding/building for 40+ years. There is a significant number of challenges in any build. You need to ensure everything works together & the way it was designed to.
          i know believe me, take a look at my bike. new front end, new rear end on a GS. some of it was bolt on, a lot was machined or made by me. no errors, all was guaranteed perfect before it was fitted.
          1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Still sound advice. Would you feel safe riding a bike put together by that guy who put a valve on his GSXR exhaust?

79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Working...
            X