Bottom bearing inner race won't slide onto the steering stem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom bearing inner race won't slide onto the steering stem

I'm replacing the steering stem bearings and can't get the inner race in place onto the steering shaft. I got it to 3/4 inch from the bottom fork clamp using a piece of a PVC pipe but it wouldn't go any further.

I've done this before a couple of times on other GSs and haven't had problems, so we can assume I know what I'm doing... lol, maybe not really...

What are my options?

The shaft seems clean, not rusted and I greased both parts. The bearing itself is the right size (the same as the old one I took off), The outer race sits well in the frame neck.

GS850GT

are you sure it hasnt gone on crooked? maybe a peice of steel pipe would have better impact than a pvc pipe
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Not sure if this will help but when I did mine I used some large nuts and washers on the top and bottom with a piece of all thread and just tightend it all up until they were seated. It drew it in nicely.

You also may want to put the races in the freezer until you are ready to try it again.
      David
      1998 Suzuki Bandit
      1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
      1978 GS1000 - gone
      1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

no i don't think it went crooked, at least i couldnt tell if it did.
        i'll try using the steel pipe next time (though plastic pipe was fine the last two times) but i'm not convinced that would do it. 3/4 inch is looong way in this scenario
        GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
          Not sure if this will help but when I did mine I used some large nuts and washers on the top and bottom with a piece of all thread and just tightend it all up until they were seated. It drew it in nicely.

You also may want to put the races in the freezer until you are ready to try it again.
          the outer races went in fine. it's the bottom INNER race that's the prob. maybe i should try freezing the shaft and heating the race

just dont fancy demolishing yet another bearing taking it off if it gets stuck like this one
          GS850GT

Comment

a bit of heat on the bearing woul help a lot, bung it in the oven for ten minutes and it would drop straight on. dont forget your gloves though! freezing the stem would also help.
            if you heat the bearing make sure it is well lubricated again after it has cooled down
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by Agemax View Post
              a bit of heat on the bearing woul help a lot, bung it in the oven for ten minutes and it would drop straight on. dont forget your gloves though! freezing the stem would also help.
              if you heat the bearing make sure it is well lubricated again after it has cooled down
              And duck when the missus finds out you've been heating bearings in HER oven .

Cast iron pots hurt .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                And duck when the missus finds out you've been heating bearings in HER oven .

Cast iron pots hurt .

Cheers , Simon .
                haha, its my oven, i bought it, wife never uses it!
                1978 GS1085.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
                  no i don't think it went crooked, at least i couldnt tell if it did.
                  i'll try using the steel pipe next time (though plastic pipe was fine the last two times) but i'm not convinced that would do it. 3/4 inch is looong way in this scenario
                  FWIW, I've always had to use iron pipe. I can't see how PVC would hold up to the kind of pounding it usually takes to install these.

I like the oven/freezer idea.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    FWIW, I've always had to use iron pipe. I can't see how PVC would hold up to the kind of pounding it usually takes to install these.

I like the oven/freezer idea.
                    me neither, cant see a pvc pipe knocking on a press fit bearing? as long as the tube is a snug fit over the stem so you are not clouting the bearing rollers, just the inner race, it should be easy
                    1978 GS1085.

Comment

Put the bearing in a deep fat frier on high. It'll slip right on. Then make some chips!

Comment

Too much grease will make it hard to install. I had difficulty with races using more grease than a slight smear. I know it sounds crazy but wipe it clean and then just smear a little on surface, it will go one easier. Then you can grease the daylights out of it.

Comment

They need a blo*dy good whack with a bit of steel tube. An old fork stanchion cut in half is just the right dimension (well that's what I use).
                          79 GS1000S
                          79 GS1000S (another one)
                          80 GSX750
                          80 GS550
                          80 CB650 cafe racer
                          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

well, i chickened out on heating the bearing in the kitchen oven and went to the local engineering shop and they fit it on a press in like 3 seconds flat. just seeing how "easily" it went on was worth the 20 bucks i paid

i take your point though about using the steel pipe (next time)

thanks gsr
                            GS850GT

Comment

Glad you got it figured out. Sorry I was confused about which piece you were trying to fit...

Best of luck...
                              David
                              1998 Suzuki Bandit
                              1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                              1978 GS1000 - gone
                              1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                              X