Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calabogie and the Madawaska River

Hi All:

If you are in the Eastern Ontario area of Canada, there is a nice run I just made today with a friend. He was on his new H-D and I was riding my trusty '83 GS 1100. Met a few fellow two-wheelers along the way, but otherwise a lightly-traveled route where you can really enjoy the scenery.

Basically get yourself to Perth (an hour west of Ottawa on the 7 hwy). County road 511 heads north up through Balderson and Lanark, eventually into Calabogie. This little town has a general store, the Calabogie Inn, a golf course, a ski resort and a race course (check it out on line). The area from Lanark north is hilly, windy roads with very sparse traffic. Once you get to Calabogie, a little north of town the 511 ends at the 508. Turn right (east) and this windy county road follows the Madawaska river until you reach Arnprior. From there the 17 will take you further north (probably further than you care to go) or south will take you back into Ottawa (via the 417). Highway 29 / 15 will take you south to Brockville or Kingston (on Lake Ontario). 29 is moderate traffic, 15 is much higher volume. And 29 intersects 7. the trans-Canada highway. That road will take you (eventually) to either coast. Be warned: It is VERY heavily traveled.

We started from Brockville, headed via county roads up to Perth and the route just described, and then back again to Brockville.

Here's the route on Google Maps:
    <http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...8&z=9&dirflg=d>

Our total time with stops and lunch was 5 hours. Total distance was just shy of 300 km (about 180 miles). From Ottawa, I'm guessing it's just a hair longer.

A nice day-trip through farm country, woodlands, rivers and lakes in eastern Ontario.
Working...
X