Help with GS850G '79

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with GS850G '79

Hey all, I apologize for being absent since March, things have been crazy with my Daughter, work and the military charity I run in Oregon.

Last I heard from a couple of folks around the Portland area, there was some discussion about needing to setup a night for motorcycle repairing and tuning. My ride is a '79 suzuki Gs850G.

I am a total noob to bikes, and the last guy we rented from turned out to be a nightmare and it looks like someone has monkeyed with the fluids and covers on my bike (yikes) I had to have a friend come over and pick it up on his trailer as I was way too sketched to ride it

If anyone in the Foster area might consider teaching a guy about his bike and helping him work on it that would be awesome. (I will do the work myself, just need instruction and help)

I belong to the Patriot Guard and have not been able to ride with my fellow riders for the military funerals, as there are multiple items I need to fix and I am starting to get a bit ****y about it. If anyone is interested I would greatly appreciate it.
    (Again, I am not looking for someone to do the work for me, I don't mind getting my hands dirty as it is my ride after all.)

Thanks all.

Brandon.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Slade,

About all I can do is point you toward all the GS850G lovin' on my website. What, in particular, is wrong with your bike?

Anyway, I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Re

Hello back Mr. Cliff-

You welcomed me once a long time ago, and I certainly appreciate another welcome from you. I will most certainly be downloading the 850gs manual from your website if it works this time, as last time I tried it would not allow me.

Problems with my bike are as follows.

My choke cable broke and I have never removed a tank before which I need to do to replace it.

My horns don't work no matter how much I adjust them I only get a bleeping sound.

My carbs need to be rebuilt badly

and I get a bad wobble in the front end at low speeds when trying to commit a turn.
      *wheels have been balanced and checked*

It also looks like I might be getting a small oil leak even though it looks as though a new gasket was put in just before I bought it.

Also, as I said in my last post, my fluid covers and lines had splatter marks on them and they looked like they were leaking fluid (as though someone had removed them). This was after I had to back a guy away from my 7-year-old Daughter that I was renting from.

my buddy and I are pretty sure it was tampered with, but neither of us are qualified to do a thorough check-off.
      I know someone was messing with it because I had just washed and polished my bike and my Chrome was sparkly not covered in fluids, plus there was not any fluid on the ground under my bike previous to this, so I am nervous to ride it..

So there you go, a little bit of my problems and the drama of renting from someone lol..

So if anyone in the Portland Oregon are wants to host a rebuild night...

Comment

Hi Cliff, SO just like in MArch, your 850gs manual is coming up as a damaged file and Adobe cannot read it. Any help there?

Thanks a lot for your time Cliff :O)

Comment

Hi,

I'm checking it right now. In the meantime, "right-click" on the link and choose "Save as..." from the context menu. Save it to your hard drive, perhaps the "My Documents" folder. It's a big file and takes about 20 minutes on a DSL line to download. Save the entire file to your hard drive and then open it.

BassCliff

Comment

Hi,

I was able to download the manual with no problems using the procedure described above. Once downloaded it opens just fine.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
            X