How interchangeable are seats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How interchangeable are seats?

I have an 82 GS750T. Seat is in perfect condition, but the "hump" to the passenger level is too far forward by about 2-3 inches. I am looking for a destroyed seat so I can reuse the pan for a project seat, without messing with the OEM one I have now. Do I need a specific 750T seat, or do the models share the same config as far as the pan? Being a somewhat more rare model, I am looking to broaden my search for a cheap seat pan.

According to BikeBandit.com, this seat is also used on only the 1983 Suzuki GS750TD.

Comment

Ah! See this is helpful. So you're saying that for my 1982 GS750T, I could use a seat that's listed as being for a 1983 GS750TD. I'm not having luck locating a seat earmarked for my year and model so am trying to find another way to look for one (i.e., different terms, part numbers, years) that would be compatible.

Comment

As an update to my personal part of the story, I gave up on the pan. I found a local furniture upholsterer who also does motorcycle seats. Contacted a couple of the bigger names and none would touch a seat this old.

$125 later I had a pan up rebuild with a new cover. Couldn't be happier.

Comment

Originally posted by Joel750T View Post

$125 later I had a pan up rebuild with a new cover. Couldn't be happier.
          Surely you don't plan to post this without pictures....

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Surely you don't plan to post this without pictures....
            Don't call me shirley.

Ok, ok. I will get y'all some eye candy tonight. Guy made it look almost exactly like the original, but with real stitching instead of the melted in faux stitching. Plus, I had him move the hump back just shy of 2 inches and firm up the foam.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by AutumnDay View Post
              Ah! See this is helpful. So you're saying that for my 1982 GS750T, I could use a seat that's listed as being for a 1983 GS750TD. I'm not having luck locating a seat earmarked for my year and model so am trying to find another way to look for one (i.e., different terms, part numbers, years) that would be compatible.
              Suzuki likes to use many of the same parts across several models. You'll find a parts cross-reference procedure on my little website. Use it to find which bikes use similar parts to help you expand you parts search.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

I would imagine the pan itself is the same, just the shape of the foam is different, so a pan from a 80-82 750E and 80-81 1100E would be the same.

Comment

The 750T model has a specific mounting system that is different than any other models.
                  Check the front and rear mounts on a parts fiche and you will see.
                  I checked it out BEFORE buying a bike with the missing seat and front mounting parts.

Eric

Comment

As promised.

Comment

Working...
                    X