93-gsx750f

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

93-gsx750f

Just unloaded it, needs work, worn cam lobe, overall clean up.
    Just wasted a good 1 grand.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

My kid has a '90 600, got it for $500 three years ago. Needed 2nd gear, tires, chain and sprockets. Now there is a good track bike for you to thrash.
    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

The original GSX-750F is faster than the present day one, and has less obnoxious bodywork as well. For a running one in fairly decent shape, I think you did good at $1,000.

Once you get it dialed in, you'll find it will handle circles around the old GSes.
      sigpic

SUZUKI:
      1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
      HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
      KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
      YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

or you could u se it's running gear and bung it on an aircooled brute

Comment

Radial tires are not recomended?

Well after a lot of research, it looks like I should stick with bias ply tires. The OEM size for the rear is 150/70-17 and that's only available in bias ply.
          I read that the whole suspension setup would have to be redone for radial tires, true?
          Of course this applies the GS bikes as well.
          Bill
          "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Those are the same wheels that i had on my 750. I had Dunlop sportmax radials (140 rear) and they are the same wheels that are on my kids 600. He has Continental road attack radials on it, his rear is a 150/70. I've ridden it many times and it handles really well even with the 20yr old stock shock on it. AND, the 4.5x17 (stock is 3.5) rear wheel from a '98 or newer 600 or 750 Katana that a 160 will fit on, will bolt right up to your 750. You would just need the wheel and matching rotor, you have to use the '89-'97 sprocket (the stock one on it now) carrier. And you could easily swap a gsxr (or rf900 43mm cartridge style, like on my 750) front end on it. Check out the Katriders.com forum.

Comment

Useful info. Thanks!

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
              Those are the same wheels that i had on my 750. I had Dunlop sportmax radials (140 rear) and they are the same wheels that are on my kids 600. He has Continental road attack radials on it, his rear is a 150/70. I've ridden it many times and it handles really well even with the 20yr old stock shock on it. AND, the 4.5x17 (stock is 3.5) rear wheel from a '98 or newer 600 or 750 Katana that a 160 will fit on, will bolt right up to your 750. You would just need the wheel and matching rotor, you have to use the '89-'97 sprocket (the stock one on it now) carrier. And you could easily swap a gsxr (or rf900 43mm cartridge style, like on my 750) front end on it. Check out the Katriders.com forum.
              That sounds interesting, the '93 rims are only 3.5" wide? Cool mods to think about.
              Thanks! Useful info.

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                That sounds interesting, the '93 rims are only 3.5" wide? Cool mods to think about.
                Thanks! Useful info.
                The front is 3.0

Comment

Before you do any expensive parts swapping....
                  Suzuki UK's setup for the 600 of the time (same forks & wheels as your 750)
                  Forks - Stronger springs "but not much" 10mm more fork oil over stock (measured by height with spring removed and leg compressed) 10 wt oil.
                  They used a proflex rear shock and spring. Don't have specs sorry.
                  Tyres F 110/80 Michelin Hi sport R 140/70 Michelin HS

From what I know of the GSX750 it's a detuned 750J motor. Lower lift cams and I think smaller carbs. Anything sold to hop up the J will fit. Don't faff about with CV's find some RS's around 36mm. J cams on 104/104 LC will do you and should be available cheap.
                  Find a 5 deg ignition advancer and fit it.
                  A good 4 into 1 race pipe will wake it up quite nicely too.

Get the handling sorted on the stock wheel sizes first - wider is not always better - Suzuki UK raced the 600 quite competitively on the stock rims at UK national level.

Comment

The first issue is OEM information…

Well I signed up at KatRiders.com and have found some anecdotal info: beginning in '91 all Kats had radials.
                    However, at denniskirk.com the recommended tires are bias ply: the Dunlop GT 501V and the Bridgestone BT45V.
                    Just getting proper tire info has taken a day. But all fun at this point!
                    Last edited by Buffalo Bill; 07-21-2010, 07:35 AM.

Comment

from '90 on up to '97 they had the same wheels. Go with the radials.

Comment

I'll go with the radials.

Originally posted by kingofvenus View Post
                        from '90 on up to '97 they had the same wheels. Go with the radials.
                        Bridgestone Battlax BT023 radial sounds real good and they got the right size rear tire, 150/70-17

Comment

How wide are the wheels? If the rear is only 3" wide I wouldn't run radials.
                          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Tires rated for the rim width…

The rear wheel is 3.5" wide, and the front is 3".
                            Funky, on the Bridgestone site they don't show the recommended rim sizes for the BT023. But they do for other tires. Most of their 150/70-17 radials require a 4" wheel.

Might have to go back to choosing the BT45 bias ply.
                            Glad I'm not in a rush, yet.

Comment

Hi Buffalo Bill, need to say a couple of words here. Just saw this thread and wanted to say that back in March of this year I too found a 1993 GSX 750 (in black) with a motor problem and bought it as well. I haven't dug into to it just yet but will eventually.
                              I don't have anything else to add to your thread...........just found it an interesting coincidence. I'm looking forward to opening mine up to see what the issue may be.
                              Experience with the GS series motors tells me that the GSX series motors are probably just as well designed and as long lived.

Comment

Working...
                              X