GS450 Mega Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS450 Mega Build

This thread will be a culmination in 15 years riding, wrenching, chopping, and hopping up motorcycles older than 1981. I hope to start a mega project that I am reluctant to call cafe, street fighter, or GSXR conversion because it will be all of those things and much more. I aim to fab everything I can one the bike on slow bit at a time.

Page 1-6 GSXR Front Forks.
    Page 7 - Under seat Electric panel - Link
    Page 8-13 - Rear End? - Link
    Page 18 - DIY Earle's SS brake lines - link
    Page 19 - Finished! - link

Without further ado.....drilling rotors:
    Increased surface area for cooling by double.

Last edited by Guest; 11-28-2010, 11:41 PM.

This is going to be good!

I like the black and white photos very artsy fartsy. An interesting precursor of how this build might go.

Good job on the drilling. Tedious ain't it. Once you get the first one done the next ones follow quite easily I find, however. Did you find the cutting easy? Some disks are hard to cut and yet others cut like butter. I used to use drill bits but on the advice of guys from the XS650 forum I changed to end mills and they seem to do a quicker job.

Whats next on the agenda?

Looking forward to seeing your next part of the puzzle.

Good luck with it.

Spyug

Comment

Great job on the drilling and the photography! This build should be very interesting!

Comment

Thanks

The drilling went pretty smoothly. I expected it to be much harder based on posts from others. I used new, cobalt bits and a lot of oil (canola!). The shop smelled great.

Oh, and if anyone wants a template made up, I can whip these out quick in Google Sketchup. Here is a tutuorial for those who don't know how to make something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMK3BXeC28Y

Can we embed youtube here?

Comment

I'm along for the ride on this one, very keen to see what you can with a 450
          1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
          1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

O_o

Are you doing this on the black GS450 you rode here? Or is this another GS450?

It's looking good already. Drilled rotors... Looks cool and better performance. It's a win-win situation! I'm thinking I should do that too when school starts. I'm definitely subscribing to this Oh yeah, my roadtrip is ending way too early so I'll be home tomorrow. Back to work on my GS450 hehe...
            Last edited by Guest; 07-21-2010, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Progress.....

Drilled the other rotor today....Yes I am going with dual front disks. The first major change I wanted to make to the bike was in suspension. I acquired a nice looking 1993 GSXR front end and have been slowly, painstakingly, measuring to make it fit. The triple trees are a match, so no changes there. The wheel bearings were a bit harder due to the odd sizes, and the fact that I wanted to keep my wheels for now. VXB bearings supplied the new ones. Then I ordered some shim stock and spacers for the front axle. Here is what I have come up with so far for fabrication:

Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2010, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Subscribed! Busting out the popcorn! This looks like its gonna be sweet build. I love the black and white photos, and the 3D modeling is great to see. Keep us updated.

Comment

Nice, nice and NICE !!

Uhmmm, you've done this before.....great drawings.

Subscribed.
                  Larry D
                  1980 GS450S
                  1981 GS450S
                  2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Will be watching this build with great interest.
                    80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

Your B&W photos are amazing.
                      I had no idea you could order metal stock online.
                      The things you learn here.

Comment

Subscribing!

Looks like you're doing a good job with planning! I can't wait to see how this turns out.

What other ideas do you have coming up for us?

Comment

Ha!

Give away all my surprises? Secrets... all of them! Actually, I am not quite sure yet. I have a number of ideas and parts that I may use, and am letting the bike dictate where it wants to go. Cost, is another factor.

Comment

Another subscriber here....GREAT WORK! Can I send you my rotors?

Comment

Subscribed.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X