Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gs450E 1986 some changes

Hi!

So, last summer working in UK I got a GS450E dirt cheap. checken on the engine, was ok, changed some minor things, got a new tech. inspection and rode happily. Was a real good bike. Soon discovered that I had a quiet tik-tik-tik...tik-tik-tik... noise on idle from the valve control. (well, 55000 miles on the clock...) Got another one for parts after a few months, and shorlty my valve steam seals were gone. When I tried to change the seals I managed to brake two of the cam retainer cap bolts into the engine, and choosing the easier path I replaced the head with the one from the "parts" bike. Was fine. Until this March. The valve stem seals again... So I decided that I will give it to a mechanic. I moved to Poland meantime where the work (I mead in garages) is much cheaper than in UK so why not. at least it was going to be done pro.
    Well. the mechanic said one week to remove the broken bolts, replace stam seals, replace head gasket etc. I waas happy. the bike was there was 20 days while he managed to brake a drill into the hole where the broken bolt was. GRRR he gave the head to anothr mechanic (who's garage is redoing cyl heads) and he fixed the two broken bolts, broken drills, and as a bonus shaved some off the surface of the head to fit on the cylinders perfectly, redone the valve seats, fixed some damaged threats with helicoil. (he damaged one of the exhaust bolt threads by shaving a piece it off!! - helicoil...) so, he did a throughout job mostly stuff I did not want, since the bike was absolutely ok before. (good compression, good performance....)
    okay I payed and put the biek together. Well. he managed to overlook one of the damaged threads. While I got 4 helicoils put in, he forgot to put in to fix the thread of the cap retainer, so I have a bit damaged thread there... I do not trust that it will hold the min 8Nm torqe required by the manual... ok, Loctite... :/

As he changed the cyl head I've been struggling with the carbs to set them as now the mixture is very rich. (lowered on the float level 2mm first back to factory level than another 2 mm lower... will try it today...)

In the mean time I picked up some parts from here and there, so now the nice part comes. I like the 1960-1980 bikes, so I got rid of the plastic tail, repaced it with a much better looking chrome luggage rack, mudguard, taillight, the bike got chrome rear suspension, 1" smaller wheels (all from a GS450L from internet) I put on a chain protector (i like it) from a jawa350 and I lifted the fuel tank as I like the looks much more now... and I cut a little from the seat too. Plus the bike got some new parts, seals, oil, chain, sprockets, battery new paint on the frame (not perfect, mostly protection only...) Planning to lower the rear suspension a bit, drop the muffler, lower the front end a little bit. (1/2" maybe along with the rear...) and a new paintjob because I have the original paint on the fuel tank and on the side covers... well, not that good looking.

I'll create some pictures after I got it running (carbs today, hopefully finally I get it right) so you can see it.

I'd appreciate any ideas on tha tik-tik-tik noise from the valve control (it came back with the old cyl head, so I guess it's something to do with the cams - clearences are ok, 0.04mm) or If you have a good tip how to fix that thread I mentioned (I don't want to pull the head again noooo and not that mechanic, GRRRRR) and any tipps are welcomed in general.

Just one more, since I have it, I has an ugly rattle when I release the clutch standing in 1st gear, sometime when I want to acclerate hard in 2nd too. I guess something is very worn in the cluch. I have the other bike so it will be replaced withouth a problem. any ideas what can it be, what to replace?

Thanks for all.

I managed to get the carbs running (apparently I my bike drinks some oil so it completely ruined the colortune method...) and the bike goed fairly well. I will have to do a plug chop test but is't getting there. so, yesterday was very hot here and after a few minutes of riding (when the bike was really warmed up) I started to have the mentioned tik-tik-tik noise from the valve control... but this time it was not only the rhithmic tik-tik-tik...tik-tik-tik, it was audible when acclerating, whan standing at the red light, when slowing, sometimes longer, sometimes longer, sometimes louder... completety without a system, randomly.
    May it be something to do with my chain tensioner?

Comment

Working...
    X