secondary gear cover??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

secondary gear cover??

its one thing after the other f$#@!! went ridding this morning and i will be da#$ed if i looked down and seen oil on my boots so i get home and im looking and its gear oil so i say ok easy fix get my screw driver out and guess what previous owner stripped them yessss.. now im mad lol and dont know how to get them out its not alot of oil but if i cant ride it right i wont at all!!
    anyone had this problem and how did you fix it also how the heck do i get them out

Just the screws in the cover? It depends on how much is left. If there is still some recognizable JIS equivalent of a Phillips head on them, use an impact wrench with a #3 Phillips bit. Don't worry about the cost of an impact wrench. They're cheap, and you will be using it again. Replace with stainless socket heads. Get a whole kit for your bike from Z1 Enterprises and convert all the cover screws, is my recommendation. Don't skip the anti-seize either. If the impact wrench fails, or there's nothing left for it to grab, you'll have to drill the heads off. Once you get the cover off, the remains of the screws will probably back out easily. Use left-hand twist drills if you can. They may bite and run the screw out.

Riding with uncertain gear oil in the secondary or final drives isn't just wrong, it's dangerous. They tend to fail by bearing seizure. If you happen to be in a corner when it happens, you will low-side.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

yea its just the cover screws im guessing its something simple there leaking i hope but there is still some screw left but cant use hand driver to get them out

Comment

I'm thinking the outer cover doesn't have anything to do with a loss of gear oil. I think it's just trim. One ol' retired firefighter giving a non-expert opinion to a young buck.
        1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
        1983 GS 1100 G
        2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
        2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
        1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

lol yea i think im getting little mad going to take a walk before i get the halligan out and really get it off. firefighter's have a way to destroy things really quick lol

Comment

ok so i went for a walk came back and drilled out the screws and put new one's in and now im good to go i still didnt see anything but since i was there i changed the gear oil

Comment

Working...
            X