motor cleaning (78 GS1000)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

motor cleaning (78 GS1000)

What is the best product and method to clean the grunge off the cylinder fins, etc, on the silver GS1000 engine?

I use a mix of 1/3 truck wash , 1/3 kerosene and 1/3 water in a squirty bottle . Spray it over the engine . Have a beer . Use a plastic bannister brush and some more water to scrub it down then hose it all down with a garden hose . Job done .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

there have gotta be some links on this. WD-40 is a very mild grease cutter much like the kerosine. WD-40 is apparently made from Fish oil though

Usually come back with a degreaser of one sort or other. Purple Power or Simple Green but dont let it set too long it will eat at your surfaces.

There is a tube video series (5 parts I think) that is pretty helpful

Comment

thanks for f the responses , Fella's. I usually use Purple power on my Honda CR250 dirtbike, which does a great job, although that's not tar and the like, just coal dust/mud - and as you say, don't leave it on too long as it discolors painted plastic and other surfaces.
        I have "gunk" brand "engine brite" foaming engine cleaner which has given me fairly decent results on other bikes/parts - with the aid of a toothbrush or similar on the more stubborn stuff.
        Of course, with the motor in the bike it makes it a bit more difficult to access those behind the frame tube nooks 'n' crannies, plus mine has an oil cooler to add to the knuckle busting! I guess i'll just have to get out there and experiment.
        Ian J

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          there have gotta be some links on this. WD-40 is a very mild grease cutter much like the kerosine. WD-40 is apparently made from Fish oil though

Usually come back with a degreaser of one sort or other. Purple Power or Simple Green but dont let it set too long it will eat at your surfaces.

There is a tube video series (5 parts I think) that is pretty helpful
          Yep, here's a link to part 1:

This short clip is taken from the '3x Bike Essentials' DVD available from DrivenandRidden.com.

You'll see the rest of the parts on the rightas you watch the first. Excellent. Now be a good man Ian and post up a pic of the Gamma.

Comment

Working...
          X