Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I run with a missing cam cover bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I run with a missing cam cover bolt?

While adjusting valves on my 23,000 mile '78 GS550, I broke one of the 16 cam cover bolts (inside center bolt, intake side). Not much left, and not enough room to drill, 3 days of PB Blaster doing nothing, so my question is, has anyone run with any of these bolts missing, and does it result in an oil leak?

By the way, when I think of how tight the PO had these things, I can't believe I didn't break more.

Drill it out and retap the threads.
    Pull the head if necc.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
      how tight the PO had these things
      Coulda been seized by corrosion. I know the clutch cover has a bolt hole that goes straight to oil. If you dont want to tackle the removal at least fill the empty hole with some red rtv. Youll probably see a little seepage around the gasket where its not torqued down.
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I need to read the entire post. I thought you stated cam caps. If you don't mind oil leaks then ride away.
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
          Drill it out and retap the threads.
          Pull the head if necc.

My 850 has two busted valve cover bolts.
          Does just fine as long as ya use a good gasket.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Working...
          X