Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle grip removal.....

Hi,
    Ive ordered new bars and grips for my 750, though I havnt got them yet I was checking out the removal of parts from my bars today.

The left hand grip in stuck on very well, but I guess I can leave in on here as Im putting on new grips on the new bars, but the throttle grip is the same. Its stuck tight to the inner plastic tube so I will need to seperate them somehow.

I didnt want to force them too much today, so I just put it back on for now till the new stuff gets here....should be by the weekend.

Any ideas how I could remove it without doing damage?

Thanks in advance!

I would use a sharp razor blade device, such as a box cutter. You can cut almost through the grip and then tear it off w/o damaging the inner plastic piece.

Comment

try blowing compressed air into the hole in the ends..if theres no hole just poke a small one in to get the nozzle in a bit.. other than that you just gotta peel them down a bit from the top and maybe use a bent spoon handle to try and loosen the grip glue while you twist and pull..dont know about any chemical solvents that may work without damaging the switches or anything belse that may get some on them..
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hmmm

I always just cut them off, but hairspray, carb cleaner work pretty good for getting them off and on.

Scott

Comment

Last guy superglued these big honkin steel grips on mine. I had to cut both off with an angle grinder. When I got the right one off I noticed half the throttle tube was missing/broken off. Perfect opportunity for the yammie upgrade.

Just cut em. Much easier and less work.
          Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2010, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I always get a bottle of WD40 with the straw still on it...wedge the straw under the grip and squirt. Makes for quick removal...just be sure to clean it thoroughly.

Comment

Me, too!

Originally posted by koolaid_kid View Post
              I would use a sharp razor blade device, such as a box cutter. You can cut almost through the grip and then tear it off w/o damaging the inner plastic piece.
              Me, too! Easy as pie!
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Thanks lads, I will let ye know how I get on!

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                  I always get a bottle of WD40 with the straw still on it...wedge the straw under the grip and squirt. Makes for quick removal...just be sure to clean it thoroughly.
                  What he said.

Comment

^Plus, you can reuse your grip if you don't cut it...I know it's not the same with everyone, but I seem to never have enough grips.

Comment

Cool!

Originally posted by Seanie View Post
                      Thanks lads, I will let ye know how I get on!
                      I wish I knew how to talk like that!!!

Seanie, I'm going to be in your beautiful country next month. I was planning on a night in Ennis but time didn't permit. I'll be traveling through from Cork to Galway.

Comment

Originally posted by chuckycheese View Post
                        I wish I knew how to talk like that!!!

Seanie, I'm going to be in your beautiful country next month. I was planning on a night in Ennis but time didn't permit. I'll be traveling through from Cork to Galway.

chuckycheese, you gotta go to Blarney Castle while you're in Cork, it's so cool and if you're interested there is an area just around the corner from the castle entrance to pick up pretty much any kind of goods you might want and the prices are very reasonable.
                        You can kiss the Blarney stone while you're there!

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

Ireland

Originally posted by wacky941 View Post
                          chuckycheese, you gotta go to Blarney Castle while you're in Cork, it's so cool and if you're interested there is an area just around the corner from the castle entrance to pick up pretty much any kind of goods you might want and the prices are very reasonable.
                          You can kiss the Blarney stone while you're there!
                          Yeah, we're interested in all of it! We'll see how it goes. (My mom kissed the Blarney stone so that might be good enough for the entire family!)

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                            ^Plus, you can reuse your grip if you don't cut it...I know it's not the same with everyone, but I seem to never have enough grips.
                            Sounds like you need to get a grip(s), man!!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Comment

I razor bladed mine also. Then had to grind the ribs of the throttle tube so the new grips would fit. Order the R1 tube and start fresh. you will love it. Less wrist fatigue on long ride and more fun when playing.

Comment

Working...
                              X