Broken sidecover tabs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broken sidecover tabs

Hi...my beloved 1983 11000E has the tabs broken of the left sidecover . Does anyone know if these can be reattached?
    I've never pastic welded anything.

Thankyou!

Hi,

Here's one way. Have a look at this link from your "mega-welcome".

http://www.maxim-x.com/seca/sidecover/ - Repair the broken posts on your sidecovers.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Cliff,
      That looks like a pretty good approach but this is maybe even better. I broke off the good tabs to put this reinforced ones on.

Repair done on a RED ED

Jim

Comment

2-part epoxy called grip-gaurd for plastic its 40 bucks a tube grind a v shape where it broke front and back tape one side so it holds the piece in place after mixing the epoxy spread on the v grove u made wait till it get hard then apply to back side wait till it gets hard they have a 5min stuff sand smoth then paint stuff works damn good

Comment

Anybody ever reinforce the base of a good post to help prevent it from ever breaking?
          1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
          1983 GS 1100 G
          2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
          2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
          1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Jim,

Yes! That looks like a much simpler process. Nice work. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

if u wanna reinforce the tab use a mesh like the one u use for drywall (ive used drywall mess before) ruff up the area with a 80 grit frinder (tab dosent have to be broken) use the plio-grip like i said earlyer if anyone wants a long type up of how to do this pm me with plio-grip in the title

Comment

I repaired one on my 850 about 4 years back.

I shaped the head of an 8 mm bolt and screwed it into a tacked nut on the steel mounting plate. After roughing the surface of the cover, I used Araldite Epoxy Resin to adhere the tab in place.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Side note - a little WD40 on the rubber washer when reassembling helps that post disassemble a little easier the next time. Has helped to keep mine from rebreaking.

Edit: Just read that thread Posplayr posted, and I like the vaseline idea better. It'll last longer than the WD40.
                  Last edited by Guest; 07-31-2010, 10:19 AM. Reason: I stand corrected

Comment

Also

Also, the rubber grommets that the tabs fit into get really hard and brittle after so many years. I replaced mine on both of the GS's and it made the tabs slide in and out really easily.

You can order them just like any other OEM part. (I tried to find some that would work at the hardware store but was unsuccessful.)
                    1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I drill a pair of 6 mm holes in the underside of the cover adjacent to the post and zip tie the cover to the frame tube. This stops them being lost to the wind (happened) and prevents them being stolen (happened twice). If a post is broken off, this method works good for keeping the cover in place.

Comment

I have reinforced "good" posts, as well as improving broken posts, by drilling small holes through the posts themselves and "dimpling" the side cover around the posts (without going through) in order to give the stronger epoxy a better grip on the cover and an "anchor" through the posts. This repair has never failed on me.

I have to admit though ... I LOVE the idea of using a through hole and a zip tie to prevent easy theft or loss of the side covers!

Regards,
                        Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2010, 03:32 PM.

Comment

In reality, how many of us are there out there looking for side panels for these old dinosaurs to steal?

But I do like the idea of a secondary retainer in the event the post breaks while riding, preventing accidental loss.....

Comment

Here's how I repaired the broken post on my side covers

Comment

Originally posted by Smokinapankake View Post
                              In reality, how many of us are there out there looking for side panels for these old dinosaurs to steal?
                              I've had side covers stolen off my bike in the past ... so don't put it past someone to grab something they want... Better safe than sorry!

Regards,

Comment

Working...
                              X