well here goes nothing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well here goes nothing

just bought a bike from my uncle for 200$ I'll attach pics soon but you would think the bike was hunting its so camouflaged, its a 1980 450gs and it been outside for a long long time it will be a full rebuild to as aclose to stock as originall with new exhaust and maybe a aftermarket headlight set up, it needs everything from tires to carbs cleaned, i know its a big task but im taking it one step at a time and will be looking for you guys for guidance and wisdom, i'll be pulling out of whatever that monstrosity of a plant is tommorow and cleaning it thought about spraying it down witha hose but thought that might damage it then thought its been outsie for 5 years or more, its prolly not going to harm anything else at this point what do you guys think and where should i start first thanks derek from mo

guess i should say seat and side covers were in perfect condition so while im going no where i'll be comfortable

Comment

No disrespect intended, but your uncle deserves a slap upside the head for charging you money for that thing. He should be paying you for cleaning up his yard!

Hope you get it going and welcome to the GSR.
      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Welcome aboard. Thats one fine looking tree you got for $200 Good luck on your restore. Make sure you post pics along the way of your progress.
        I didnt do it I swear !!

--------------------------
        1982 GS850G

1980 GS1100L

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          No disrespect intended, but your uncle deserves a slap upside the head for charging you money for that thing. He should be paying you for cleaning up his yard!

Hope you get it going and welcome to the GSR.
          I agree! Good luck. I can be done.

cg
          sigpic
          83 GS1100g
          2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I laughed a little. Not making fun or anything but I think thats prolly the worse I've ever seen. But thats not saying a whole lots since I've only been fooling with these ole things for a year or so.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you're pretty stoked about it. Thats a good thing!!

Do keep us posted. I would love to see that thing without the ugly weeds, or is that a fairing?
            One in the same...
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
              I laughed a little. Not making fun or anything but I think thats prolly the worse I've ever seen. But thats not saying a whole lots since I've only been fooling with these ole things for a year or so.
              Nah, that one's fine. No tree trunks through the frame or nothing.
              Stickerbushes are just part of the patina in this case.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Probably not in as bad of shape as you think it is. Mine sat for over 2 years, cleaned carbs, added a battery and it's my daily driver. Restoring or custom?

Comment

The first thing I'd do is dump the Vetter. You might be able to make a few bucks back off of it.

Comment

first of all , doing a rebuild for a friend he got jewed not me
                    second, trying to go all oem as possible
                    third, what a vetter, ...this is going to be a long project...

Comment

Originally posted by rebuild450 View Post
                      first of all , doing a rebuild for a friend he got jewed not me
                      second, trying to go all oem as possible
                      third, what a vetter, ...this is going to be a long project...
                      By 'vetter' he means the front fairing. Vetter is the name a manufacturer of those fairings.
                      BTW your language may be found offensive by some of our Jewish members.

Comment

Wow I thought my rebuild was gonna be, ummm, fun... keen to see how yours shapes up for sure.

My 1981 GS450E rebuild's happening here:

Are you doing a restoration project of some kind on a GS? Let everyone see what you are doing by posting the details here.
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

sorry about the reference my apologies to all, and i thought thats what it was but i was unsure... thank you for the clear up...

Comment

Originally posted by rebuild450 View Post
                            sorry about the reference my apologies to all, and i thought thats what it was but i was unsure... thank you for the clear up...
                            I may have sounded a little harsh as well. The Vetter is that big honking fairing. The bike will handle tons better without it. People are always looking for parts off of them or you might be able to sell the entire fairing. If you want a little wind protection a small sport fairing would look better and fit the character of the bike better. The 450s look sweet when they get done right.

Comment

wow got the side panels and the seat today, and well he was right mint* condition, its the original 1980's seat looks brand new going to armoral it and get it all cleaned up its a little dusty then i will post some pics , also got the bike pulled apart from the ... "scenery" posion ivy from batman returns was there she was yelling at me the whole time, tell me i was destroying her creation like it was some art form, anway bike key now in my possession time to take her to the garage and start the break down, anyone know of anywhere in northern mo or kc where i can get the carbs cleaned?

Comment

Working...
                              X