Can I Do It?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I Do It?

I am, in the words of one commentator, someone whose toolbox is his wallet.

But I want to try to fix up my 1979 GS750 that tragically t-boned a taxi that chose to pull a u-turn in front of me. I am hoping that the collected wisdom on this forum can help me through it.

So far as I can tell, I need to replace the following items that are non-cosmetic:
    • front forks;
    • left-side engine cover;
    • handle-bars.
    I have (I hope) attached pics of the forks and engine cover.

There are replacement forks and a replacement engine cover on eBay or locally, so the issue for me is the feasibility of swapping the forks and handlebar out, given all the stuff that I would have to remove and replace, and properly sealing the new engine cover.

Thoughts?

Originally posted by ADH65 View Post

But I want to try to fix up my 1979 GS750 that tragically t-boned a taxi that chose to pull a u-turn in front of me. I am hoping that the collected wisdom on this forum can help me through it.

So far as I can tell, I need to replace the following items that are non-cosmetic:
    • front forks;
    • left-side engine cover;
    • handle-bars.
    I have (I hope) attached pics of the forks and engine cover.

There are replacement forks and a replacement engine cover on eBay or locally, so the issue for me is the feasibility of swapping the forks and handlebar out, given all the stuff that I would have to remove and replace, and properly sealing the new engine cover.

Thoughts?
    Although I can't see your pictures, I can tell you that swapping out the front end is not too difficult a job. I did it in an afternoon. Block up the front of the frame and go to it! It's a good opportunity to rebuild the steering bearings, fork or front brakes. You probably needed new brake fluid, anyway. Get a manual so you have references for any wiring connections.

Comment

First, you need to make absolutely sure the frame is not tweaked in any way from the crash. A head on crash like that (for your part) depending on how hard it was, will not only damage the forks and triple tree, but can also do some damage to the steering neck, and connecting frame components. Id bust out a tape measure, angle finder, or protractor and start looking at the frame when you get it stripped down to assure you have no problems there. A tweaked frame is rather dangerous, as it will effect the handling characteristics of the bike to a rather large extent. Once you've proved to yourself that the frame is good, replacing your list of things is rather simple, and straight forward. I would also suggest you replace the steering stem bearings, as those are likely hurt by the crash, and that SHOULD be the most difficult part of the job...

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        First, you need to make absolutely sure the frame is not tweaked in any way from the crash. A head on crash like that (for your part) depending on how hard it was, will not only damage the forks and triple tree, but can also do some damage to the steering neck, and connecting frame components. Id bust out a tape measure, angle finder, or protractor and start looking at the frame when you get it stripped down to assure you have no problems there. A tweaked frame is rather dangerous, as it will effect the handling characteristics of the bike to a rather large extent. Once you've proved to yourself that the frame is good, replacing your list of things is rather simple, and straight forward. I would also suggest you replace the steering stem bearings, as those are likely hurt by the crash, and that SHOULD be the most difficult part of the job...
        Interestingly enough, on a cross country trip last summer, my brother hit a rock on my GS850. It broke the wheel without hurting the forks, bearings or frame.

I never would have guessed that was possible.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

I'm with TheCafeKid on this one--Check all areas for damage and correct alignment--your personal safety is more important than going riding with possible damage--just my 2 cents worth

Comment

check your front wheel bearings..
            I had to replace them on the GS I got with bent forks.. The trees were bent too..

Comment

Originally posted by ADH65 View Post

I resemble that remark...........

Comment

Questioning wheel bearings after an accident…

Most bearings take on load force as they do in wheel bearings I.e. they hold the weight of you and the bike, picture them in the wheel they separate the rim and forks by riding on the axle. If you had an accident where by you hit a car with the front wheel resulting in bent forks, then your wheel bearings HAVE ultimately received that same impact, as the impact force had to have transferred through the bearings to bend the forks….

I would replace them regardless…for the price of them and the ease of removal and installation it shouldn’t be a question if it was in an accident!

Comment

Working...
                X