Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing speedo glass 83750e

1983 gs750e

I am wanting to polish my Speedo crystal. I tried prying, but don't want to break it. I tried pulling the ODO knob, and not sure how to do it. I have looked at a few schematics, but I'm still stumped.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-30-2010, 10:02 PM.

Good way to break the glass, speedo is a sealed unit. Does not come apart unless you cut it open.

Comment

Wasn't sure, thanks. The schematic shows it seperate, but didn't see how. I will try some headlight polish and see what I can do.

Comment

Originally posted by cvmgtwowheels View Post
        Good way to break the glass, speedo is a sealed unit. Does not come apart unless you cut it open.
        Not true...

Is this the single cluster unit or the ones with a seperate speedo and tach (in the US, the 83 had a single unit, but apparently other countries still got earlier models badged as 83s)

If its a seperate cup, you simply remove the cup from the cluster, and CAREFULLY pry the bezzel back with a flat head screw driver. Ive done a half dozen of em now. You have to be carefull that you dont side load the bezzel or it will break the glass... But if you're slow, and careful, it can be done. Go around it once or twice, and then use a pair of needle nose pliars to peel it back and straight, so its easy to pull the cup, and easy to close it back up...

Comment

If it's the same as the one on my 83750ES then you simply pull the ODO knob off & then pry the glass frame off & out it comes. Mine is a integrated unit the glass is one piece that loosely looks like a triangle with the corners cut off & rounded....

I have a frame, plate with all the markings on it for speedo but no glass if you're interested or end up damaging yours during removal.
          1980 GS1000G - Sold
          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
            If it's the same as the one on my 83750ES then you simply pull the ODO knob off & then pry the glass frame off & out it comes. Mine is a integrated unit the glass is one piece that loosely looks like a triangle with the corners cut off & rounded....

I have a frame, plate with all the markings on it for speedo but no glass if you're interested or end up damaging yours during removal.

I'll keep that in mind, I have bigger fish to fry now.(see my new thread)

Comment

Working...
            X