Speedo gearbox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo gearbox

I went to search on this and was embarrassed to find my own thread from two years ago. It's been a busy two years, k?

Anyway, I've just now dropped the $2.99 at Harbor Freight for a pair of snapring pliers and got into the thing a bit. For background - my speedo is doesn't work.

I got the snapring, washer, and tabbed ring off. The tabbed ring has one set of tabs - the outer ones. My questions are....

1.) Should there be two sets of tabs - one pointing in to engage the wheel hub and one pointing out to engage the slotted sleeve inside the gearbox? Maybe my inner tabs are kaput?

2.) Can this be disassembled further? I assume so, but I'm hoping for a tip on how to get at the gears themselves.

Yes, there should be tabs to engage the inner hub.

Yes, some disassembly is possible, along with cleaning and re-greasing.

You can also unscrew the bushing on the small output hole and remove that part of the mechanism.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I don't remember the geometry of that part perfectly, but I do remember that my 850 sheared two wheel-side tabs off flush to the ring. I also remember that I wasn't able to completely disassemble it without destroying the dist seal to investigate further. The grease inside had turned into a gooey almost-dust.

The drive I pulled off the parts bike still worked, so I cleaned and re-greased it. The plastic bushing the output shaft runs in is threaded, so you can back it out to gain access to the gears. I sprayed the inside with whatever solvent I had on hand (maybe brake cleaner), until it was clean. I don't remember what kind of grease I put in it. A light grease like maybe white lithium might be a good idea.
      Dogma
      --
      O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
      '80 GS850 GLT
      '80 GS1000 GT
      '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Ok, Check - missing one set of tabs. Thanks, fellas!

Steve, you still have any of those parts... two years later?

You guys have any tips for getting that threaded bushing out? My cheapo snapring pliers can engage the thing, but they're too flexible to get that slippery plastic part to turn.

BTW, I was puzzled by a single 3/16 ball bearing I found in there. Oh no! Where are the rest of the bearings? Why is this one loose? Then I had a thought. I pinched it between my thumb and forefinger, and it squished. Turned out to be a "pearl" of dust and grease, packed into a perfect sphere by a million rotations.

Comment

On my 84, After pulling the circlip and washer, I just grabbed the center part with a set of channel locks, padded with a rag, and pulled it out past the rubber seal. This allowed me access to the worm gear and allowed me to clean the inside and relube. I used high temp wheel bearing grease, packed in there as much as my fat fingers could get, and reassembled. Some grease spooged out past the seal, telling me that I got it good n wet.
          Been working well now for 6 months or so...

Comment

Try what I found in my thread on the same topic... only stupid me managed to call it the tacho gearbox instead of speedo gearbox...

Correction to the above... try what was pointed out to me in my thread, I just gathered that information in an updated thread...
            Last edited by pete; 08-04-2010, 07:21 AM. Reason: Credit where credit is due
            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Very nice - thanks, Pete and Smokinapancake!

It was very good to see the pics on that other thread that you found.

Now all I need to do is find a drive plate to replace mine, and there, I'm a little lost. Haven't been able to find it in any fiches, only the whole gearbox. Anyone know a source?

Comment

Working...
              X