Dons GS550/650 On Fire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dons GS550/650 On Fire

Well after 2 1/2 years my project has finally reached startup stage. A complete restoration from the ground up. Frame powder coated, every bearing and bush that could be found has been replaced. A 700cc conversion on the top of a roller crank 550 bottom end with 6-speed transmission. A complete electrical upgrade going from one fuse to six and many other electrical alterations. Too many other things to mention.

I have had a lot of help from many, many people of the GSR site during this project, so I am sharing the results with all of you. Thanks to all who helped in any small (or large) way.

Here is the moment at start up:

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=P1000177.mp4

Hope this clip comes out all right, it was a bit jumpy on my computer, mind you it's not that powerful.

I think I have some tuning to do on the bike. It runs well, but the choke can be turned off as soon as the motor starts and the response is instantaneous. Not how it should be. It looks to be a bit rich on the needle as I did follow Nessism's advice and raise the needles as suggested. Or it could be I have the incorrect air jets or pilot jets, although the pilot jets are the ones for the 650 motor. I haven't taken it on the road as yet, I am waiting on a gel battery to arrive.

Did the finishing touches tonight, fitted the blinkers, tail light and headlight. Just have to fit the tank, seat and battery now and I can go for the first test ride. It will be interesting to see what it goes like once it has properly warmed up (whether it is too rich to run properly) or whether it is OK on the road.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2010, 04:34 PM.

Great moment

Congratulations Don,

Nice to see the fruits of your labour.

Can't wait to here about your first ride.

Paul
    Johno

current rides 1981 GS1000G and 2005 GSX1400
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400 D4

previous bikes 1978 GS1000HC
    1977 GS400
    1974 Montesa 250
    1960s Kawasaki 175

Comment

very nice, excellent work

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate your thoughts. After I sort out the motor and do a bit of running in I have some paint work to do to complete the package. It should look pretty smart then.

Comment

Blo*dy 'ell Don - I saw the thread title and thought you'd had a workshop fire.....

Nearly there mate. Looking good, sounds good and should run like a trooper once you've got the carbs tuned in.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Blo*dy 'ell Don - I saw the thread title and thought you'd had a workshop fire.....

Nearly there mate. Looking good, sounds good and should run like a trooper once you've got the carbs tuned in.
            Thanks Wally. Talking of tuning the carbs, I had purchased a Colortune to adjust the idle mixture some time ago for the 550 and I have just realised I cannot use it on the 650 as it has smaller plugs and it won't thread in the plug hole. Maybe I can get an adaptor, but I reckon the adjustments will be done before I can manage that.

BTW No fires down here, we only get bushfires in our summer.
            Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2010, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Nice work Don, that things lookin real good indeed
              1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
              1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Don,
                It looks and sounds good!
                I think you should leave that silencer off, I think I heard it over here when you started it!

Comment

Yep, I also thought you burned up your new bike.
                  I'll keep the monopoly on those threads.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is that the first time the bike was started Don? Amazing that it would run so steady if that's the case. As far as turning off the choke right away is concern, maybe try turning in your pilot screws a smig and see if that leans the idle a little. Looks great and keep going!
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Don,
                      Great sounding Engine. The first time I listened to the video I must have triple clicked it as there were three videos running at once and your bike sounded like a Ferrari. Anyhow once I got it down to one it still sounds great. I would be tempted to run with just an open tip as Matchless suggests.

What are your plans for colors?

Jim

Comment

Great leap forward!

Sounds good! Hope you get it on the street soon.
                        "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                        1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                        1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                        1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                          Is that the first time the bike was started Don? Amazing that it would run so steady if that's the case. As far as turning off the choke right away is concern, maybe try turning in your pilot screws a smig and see if that leans the idle a little. Looks great and keep going!
                          Ed this is the actual clip of the very first start-up, I was a bit embarrassed about the voice over so did not include it initially. Before start-up I had coated the cams with moly, replaced the cam cover and cranked the motor for about five 30 sec bursts until the oil pressure light had gone out. When the motor started I adjusted the large idle screw underneath the carbs to slow the idle speed a bit and that is the only adjustment that I have made to anything.

Although there was an oil leak when I first started the motor, it appears to be oil tight now. It's amazing the difference it makes when you fit the tacho cable which stops oil spewing out the top of the motor. At least I knew the top end was getting plenty of oil.

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

So far I have done all my testing using a spare 12v car battery and am waiting on a gel battery to arrive so I can take the bike for it's first spin. Ed I think I have the mixture screws at 3 turns out. It's a long time since I rebuilt those carbs so I will need to go and check the specs in my workshop notebook.

Ed, I notice when I rev the motor there is a whisp of black smoke coming out of the headers. So I might have to drop the needles in the slides to their original position, especially when the silencer is fitted to the headers. I am hoping when I take it on the road the jetting and needles will be pretty close.

BTW what is the effect of changing the air jet, I currently have 160s in the carbs.

Anyway I am quite pleased with myself because I had done a lot of things on this rebuild that I had never attempted before. One being slotting the camshaft sprockets and degreeing the cams. Was quite a relief when it started to not hear any knocking or clunking noises.

Thanks to everyone for words of congratulation. Still a little way to go yet to finetune everything.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            Don,
                            Great sounding Engine. The first time I listened to the video I must have triple clicked it as there were three videos running at once and your bike sounded like a Ferrari. Anyhow once I got it down to one it still sounds great. I would be tempted to run with just an open tip as Matchless suggests.

What are your plans for colors?

Jim
                            Hey Jim, thanks for your kind words and don't let STEVE hear you say anything about running an OPEN EXHAUST.

Comment

Looking good Don!
                              You'll be road tripping past here soon!

Comment

Working...
                              X