Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

building a "CUSTOM" but what is it now.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a "CUSTOM" but what is it now.....?

Thought I would start a thread at the same time as the project (real time project thread if you will) thought one or two maybe interested…

Want to see if I can build a “show bike” once in my life, you know….not one imperfection, everything mirror polished, custom paint job etc….. the kind of bike people cross the street to get a closer look!…..
    I just can’t restore things to an original condition really don’t have the patients to source the parts also I feel that “standard sux’s” anyway (just my opinion). I do want to show it when its finished to see how it fares so….

its going to be a “custom”

Only problem…what is it?
    Originally I was going to use my GS1000 as the base but once I became a member of this site I have greatly changed my perception of the bike… cutting wheel in hand and reflecting on the forum threads at the same time something came over me…I couldn’t do it!

“Preserve a piece of history,” echoed from beyond… thank you GSR members!

So I dug out an old GSX750e frame instead….
    it was bought as a roller for parts, couldn’t sell the frame nor throw it away but…….. I can chop and brace the hell out of it though…

Which leads me again to, what is it now?..
    Items to complete the bike are thus….
    GSX750e frame, GS1000e motor, GSXR750 SRAD front and rear (shocks swing arm etc), GS750? Tank, GSXR1100 carbs…

…. Best I could do was “Suzuki G Bitser Custom”

Anyway enough waffling and so it begins (the thread that is)…here it is thus far.

Currently in progress:
    Frame bracing
    Swing arm and axle fitment
    Mount location rear single shock (removing the twin set-up)
    Deburing and smoothing out of welds
    Frame prep to hide as much of the wiring as possible
    (post pics when finish this stage)

And also at the moment:
    Rear taillight and single seat section….

GS frame… I just couldn’t do it!

GSX frame, can do it to this!…one difference so far, swing arm axle is smaller in dia than the GS

Remember building a “custom”….
    Its only early days yet I have a long way too go but imagine………mouth, eyes, and nose holes will be brake/tail light and ears will have indicator LED’s this will be moulded in-to the single seat section (that will be moulded to the shape of my “BUTT”)…planning on N2O and the bottle caged in the back of its head !…

Only popped it off today did it over the weekend, will be smoothing out over the next week or so and next to it is what it was lifted from. An old 3D picture I bought about 12yrs ago (melted it a little oops!)…

Well I will say this will be a Unique build. Will be interested to see where you take this.

Comment

What about one like this ..............

or this .........................

Or , if you got REALLY keen , this .......................

All at The Island last year . They all came out of the same shed .

Good luck .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

This week ending:

Heres the frame shortened about 3-4”, with all the unneeded trimmings taken off, oh yeh and the other battery bar/bracket under the tank has also been removed, after the photo….
        Next step is off to the mates place (he has the tig/mig etc) to start filling in and smoothing out the welds, Japanese were really lazy when it came to finishing off their bikes. Also the bracing etc is being done but I have to buy the steel first and I reckon it’ll be a couple trips to the mates place before this project is finished.

I was going to use the single shock set-up that came with the swing arm except…. I am toying with this idea, not to fussed on handling as it is for show mainly (if it cant be used then don’t build it, just my opinion!) so will see how I go, at the moment this is looking better… (and I know the shocks are upside down, its only for the photo)

Last edited by Guest; 08-09-2010, 07:07 AM.

Comment

that double set up looks cool in my opinion. Im going to watch this thread
          ---Eric

Comment

Originally posted by GEE-S View Post
            This week ending:

Heres the frame shortened about 3-4”, with all the unneeded trimmings taken off, oh yeh and the other battery bar/bracket under the tank has also been removed, after the photo….
            Next step is off to the mates place (he has the tig/mig etc) to start filling in and smoothing out the welds, Japanese were really lazy when it came to finishing off their bikes. Also the bracing etc is being done but I have to buy the steel first and I reckon it’ll be a couple trips to the mates place before this project is finished.

I was going to use the single shock set-up that came with the swing arm except…. I am toying with this idea, not to fussed on handling as it is for show mainly (if it cant be used then don’t build it, just my opinion!) so will see how I go, at the moment this is looking better… (and I know the shocks are upside down, its only for the photo)

What shocks are those? Sorry if I missed it...

Comment

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
              What shocks are those? Sorry if I missed it...
              No you didnt miss it I forgot to mention.....
              There off R1's 99-2000 models, I bought a set of 4 for $38au for the set, off a well knowen internet auction site a while back for a formula libra project (that project still is going to be done, another time though) that I have. You can see one on the cupboard, they were on the top sitting there when I was at odds deciding what to do with the rear single shock (didnt like the look, looks like the swingarm has lost its load or something) and out of the corner of my eye like a bright yellow sun, there they were calling out to me "you dont like it, use us instead"....

No use buying something else when there just sitting there screaming out to get used.......
              Last edited by Guest; 08-10-2010, 04:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X