How to replace triple tree bearings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to replace triple tree bearings?

Does anyone have any directions on how to replace the triple tree bearings on an 82 GS850L?

If theyre anything like my 650 and 750s, its just a matter of removing the trees.
    Raise bike on center stand or bike jack.
    Loosen the the removed the handlebar clamps and bars and hang to the side.
    Loosen the clamping bolts on the upper trees that hold the fork tubes in place.
    Loosen the center retaining nut pack that holds the tree to the stem neck and slide the upper tree off.
    Rock the bike back and with a rubber mallet, tap the stem til its loose.
    If the bearings still to tight to remove from the neck, with the forks removed, tap them out.

To replace them, I just let the pressure of tightening the stem back in place, press the bearings in.

Im not sure how jumbled that sounds since I just woke up AND had a few last night so heres a link or 2
    Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.

Last edited by Guest; 08-01-2010, 09:23 AM.

Comment

Thanks Hammered, I'm no machanic and have no idea of what I am doing, but I think I may be able to do this now with your help.

Comment

Once the forks and retaining nut are off, the stem will be falling out. Getting the pressed races off can be a pain. I'm not finding where someone has done a good tutorial on this project. Hammered's links cover the general process well. I wrote about one of mine I did this spring, and might have some useful GS-specific ideas for you.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

This cheapo slide hammer from Harbour freight with the claws turned outward works great. Just kinda gotta get the hang of keeping the claw Open so they dont slip off.

Comment

Working...
          X