Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

non GS: KL250 carb & ignition probs

Ok, the background.
    while trying to fix the GS, i stumbled across a '78 kl250, paid a whopping $150 for it, then put a new set of tires on... adjusted valves, added gas... enjoy

I've put almost 500 miles on it, and some issues have started cropping up.
    oh, bike is a 250 single, keihin carb, and points ignition. Has a K&N filter, and some hacked up exhaust with almost no baffles left on it.

My problem starts like this: riding home from work, 55mph, was going great (turning about 5k)... bike starts hesitating & backfiring... doesn't matter in/out of gear, throttle position, etc... pull over & it finally dies. start it back up & it runs @ idle OK for a few, then soon as i get on the throttle it dies again.

Get it home, tear the carb apart, toss it in the dip for 2 days, in the meantime pulled the tank, cleaned it, lined it (caswell) and repainted. put it all back together with new fuel lines & inline filter, same problem.

grab the manual & start checking timing. adjusted the points, and adjusted the timing. idles great now, and runs great (as near as i can tell) if over 4-5krpm. while riding, if i let it dip below 4k, and have any real load on the engine (say, pulling out of a tightish corner in 2nd), engine will bog, backfire a few times, till i let off throttle, and slowly bring it back on.

If i close the throttle, then "snap" it open it seems to be OK most of the time.

ANY thoughts/assistance would be great. I'm in over my head on this one, this is the 1st time i've ever dealt with carbs, and very much the 1st time i've dealt with points ignition, so i don't even know where to start.

Thanks all!

-Nate

Kl250

I have the factory original KL250 service manual and I will part with it. If needed just let me know.

Comment

Working...
    X