Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me out new englanders

I'm in Philly. My Father is Maine.

We are looking to meet half way and do a 2 -3 day ride together two weeks from now.

Need some advice, opinions, etc. on where to go, stay and ride. ( I'll be bringing a tent).

thanks!

Well depending on where in Maine he is, half way could anywhere from Connecticut to New Hampshire. I would say if he is up near the county you take the haul up to NH and catch some rides out that way, if he is down near Portland maybe cut a bit west and ride out by the Catskills in NY.

Western Mass has some good roads I think... but usually I head north for rides. I would offer up a couch to crash on but in 2 weeks I will be camping in North Conway. I am trying to figure out a way to bring the GS... but its more a family camping / hiking trip so probably not.

Got a lot of riders from the NE area on here so others should chime in, most my miles are clocked in between work and home.

Comment

thanks!, Yeah, he is in Bar Harbor. Lake placid is about halfway each for us.

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
      Well depending on where in Maine he is, half way could anywhere from Connecticut to New Hampshire. I would say if he is up near the county you take the haul up to NH and catch some rides out that way, if he is down near Portland maybe cut a bit west and ride out by the Catskills in NY.

Western Mass has some good roads I think... but usually I head north for rides. I would offer up a couch to crash on but in 2 weeks I will be camping in North Conway. I am trying to figure out a way to bring the GS... but its more a family camping / hiking trip so probably not.

Got a lot of riders from the NE area on here so others should chime in, most my miles are clocked in between work and home.

Comment

Bar Harbor is a great area, took the kids camping at Acadia for the 4th of July.

Thats not a bad idea but anything that far North in NY is the old "you cant get there from here" deal when coming from Maine. It might be equal miles but would be all zig zag backroads and a few hours extra on his end. If he jumped the 95 to 495 to the pike and found something in western Mass area worth riding it could save you both some effort.

Comment

If I want the best riding I can do within 500 miles, I head to Vermont, hands down. NH is good, some of it great, but not like VT. I know it so well that I could write up a route for you easy. Are you going to be riding on the weekend? That makes a big difference.

If he is riding West to Lake Placid, the quickest route is as follows:

95 South to NH
          101 West to Manchester, NH
          93 North to Concord, NH
          89 North to VT
          Route 2 over to NY (Ferry at South Hero)
          87 South to 9 and 73 into Lake Placid

I would probably figure on 10 hours if it were me planning it. I know it seems a$$ backwards to travel that far south to go to Lake Placid from the Bangor area, but it's just the way it is. The only East-West major road is route 2, and it's about as nasty as it gets- major truck route, goes through every small town it can possibly hit, it's massively under construction right now, etc. Route 2 in NH and VT is actually somewhat nice, boring, but nice. It's just the section in Maine that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Skateguy50 View Post
            If he jumped the 95 to 495 to the pike and found something in western Mass area worth riding it could save you both some effort.
            Western MA is a close second to VT as far as epic riding goes in NE... I could write you up a nice route out there as well. I used to live there. It's also a good jumping off point for some riding in Southern VT.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
              Western MA is a close second to VT as far as epic riding goes in NE... I could write you up a nice route out there as well. I used to live there. It's also a good jumping off point for some riding in Southern VT.

I like the idea of western Mass and southern Vermont. Prob take my father less time to get there. Thanks Jethro. any routes you could draw up would be appreciated.

Comment

You want highway or backroads?

Jethro has a good speed route.

If you take rte 2 in MA west and head north to Brattleboro VT from there either take 100 north or 30 north.
                Get to 125? or 127? and find rte 17.
                Up to Burlington, I stay at the Anchorage inn, cheap, good beds and plrnty of hot water. Take the first ferry acorss the lake to NY and head south on 9N. Lake Placid is nice, Lake George is nice.
                Actually check teh new RIDER mag for the ride they describe thru the Appalachians, some good ideas.
                Keith
                -------------------------------------------
                1980 GS1000S, blue and white
                2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Working...
                X