1980 GS1100E half way done

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS1100E half way done

^ maybe a little better imaging what it could be?

Shes is at about the half way point of being finished. the mufflers are going to be cut at a different end angle. the tail piece was custom molded up by myself. i like the fitting of the left sides muffler, the right side is tucked up as close as i could get it. also if anyone was wondering the brand of mufflers are Dixie and they were new old stock made is japan for a kz1000. I would have use the single 8" round headlight but i broke it. i havent finished up the seat because i an still working out the body panels to a point where i am satisfied.

one question: there is a clamp on the front forks between the top and bottom triple tree clamps. it has a metal cable wire connecting both the fork tubes together. it looks like you can add tension to it. what is this for? as i am planing to take it off.

what do you guys think?

Originally posted by G1100 View Post

^ maybe a little better imaging what it could be?

Shes is at about the half way point of being finished. the mufflers are going to be cut at a different end angle. the tail piece was custom molded up by myself. i like the fitting of the left sides muffler, the right side is tucked up as close as i could get it. also if anyone was wondering the brand of mufflers are Dixie and they were new old stock made is japan for a kz1000. I would have use the single 8" round headlight but i broke it. i havent finished up the seat because i an still working out the body panels to a point where i am satisfied.

one question: there is a clamp on the front forks between the top and bottom triple tree clamps. it has a metal cable wire connecting both the fork tubes together. it looks like you can add tension to it. what is this for? as i am planing to take it off.

what do you guys think?
    Its not a metal wire...its a cross over tube for the fork air/oil, to help keep the air inside each one balanced (you will see also there is a schrader valve at the top of one of the forks..) Those forks were designed to be "air assist" type..but most of us do away with the air when we change to progressive springs as you dont need it with better springs in the forks. You will see that the crossover tube is tied into to sleeves that have Orings on the inside, as well as a circlip holding them in place on the fork. There is a hole drilled in the upper tube, to allow air to enter the fork when you "pump" them up, and the orings are to keep the air and fork oil in. If you intend to remove that tube, you will need to figure out a way to plug the holes that are drilled into the fork. One thought I had a while back when considering this was chamfering the hole, tapping it, and using a pan head screw or something, just to make it look clean. You could probably also have it welded shut... but I didnt want to make mine permanent... But you will need to plug it some how, or you'll have fork oil spritzing you in the face when you hit some good bumps..

Comment

thanks for the knowledge. the fork tubes have like a division line in the solid tube right where thats at so i figured i probably should it move it just yet. i plan on getting progessive springs for the front as one side is leaking right now.

Comment

wow that thing looks amazing, which headlight is that? im really digging dual light look.
        here is my attemp to chop that color you want

Comment

I really like what you have done, what strikes me is how well you have maitained the integrity of the original GS look. Amazing job!

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
            I really like what you have done, what strikes me is how well you have maitained the integrity of the original GS look. Amazing job!
            I vaguely tried to aim to keep the GS looking like a GS at the begining when i frist got her. i completely forgot about it but because i used all GS body panels it is still turning out to be recognizable as a GS. the modified tail peice and front fender are from a 77' GS750. a dog chewed off the ends of both my side panel covers, im still working those out.

Nice chop Dodik! really liking it. im not sure if i should paint half the side covers like i did on the right side. I love the look of all the bikes color being on the top portion like you did, i think it gives it a mean lean look.

the dual headlight setup, i believe came from ebay. im not sure i bought them about a year ago. ive had the project for quite a while now, ive been in a "life slump" and recently for the last week and a half ive finally got my shlt together and have been hauling as$ on trying to get the GS road worthy.

Comment

nice bike! IMO that would look killer with two-tone paint, gloss/flake black stripes on dark blue...

Comment

Where are you going to hide all the wires that are normally nested inside the typical oversized GS headlight? Seriously though your bike is way cool

Comment

Wow, that bike is flat out nasty. I'm in love. Imo that bike screams for a matte black paint job.

Something like this:

Comment

I just don't think bright metallic colors work on old bikes. It's always got to be flat...or a real fancy candy apple red...

Comment

What is the thing up there next to your Acewell? Is that a speaker??
                      Current:
                      Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                      VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                      And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

looking good, I'm just noticing that you put some mufflers on a stock exhaust and what great ground clerance that has.

What are the rear shocks off of?

Given the slight chopper rake/stance , I would put a 130/70-17 on the rear next time you change tires (v.s 130/90-17 now?).

They are a little hard to find but maybe you can find one of those old style over fender fork braces.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 08-04-2010, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by hillsy View Post
                          What is the thing up there next to your Acewell? Is that a speaker??
                          yes it is. a very nice Klipsch speaker i got from a friend the other day. its fully enclosed and i think it looks alright enough to be mounted on my bike. you cant ride in style without some blue oyster cult bumping, which by the way blue oyster cult is playing today at the santa rosa fair.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                            looking good, I'm just noticing that you put some mufflers on a stock exhaust and what great ground clerance that has.

What are the rear shocks off of?

Given the slight chopper rake/stance , I would put a 130/70-17 on the rear next time you change tires (v.s 130/90-17 now?).

They are a little hard to find but maybe you can find one of those old style over fender fork braces.
                            I was hoping to get the most out of ground clearence. I had to remove the center stand and mounts to do so. the rear shocks i got from a forum member here. I like how low the back is with these shocks, i can very comfortably place both my feet on the ground at a stop. I started this build with a cafe/bobber feel, what i dont like now is the stance it has. the gas tank doesnt have the rear bolt holding it in place at the moment, im hoping that bolt will help elevate the tank so it doesnt have the rear rake look it does right now. Im trying to give it a more sport bike stance with the rear being as low as it already is. Im going to try and lower the front fork tubes more after i get some progressive springs and brace later on. Low and vicious is the look im trying to achieve, and hopefully with how im mounting up the exhaust i should have the clearence to do so.
                            Last edited by Guest; 08-04-2010, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                              Where are you going to hide all the wires that are normally nested inside the typical oversized GS headlight? Seriously though your bike is way cool
                              my after market gauge is pretty bare bones on the wires so it helps delete most of the wires by about half the amount. im going to trim and shorten up the wiring harnesses and they should fit somewhere right up front. I have a leather front fork bag that is going right underneather the headlights, that should help cover up the wires

Originally posted by makenzie71 View Post
                              I just don't think bright metallic colors work on old bikes. It's always got to be flat...or a real fancy candy apple red...
                              I hate to ruin a finishing surprise on what color its going to be but i'll let everyone know its going to be very similar and close to a "classic" GS color scheme

Comment

Working...
                              X