Trip around Lake Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trip around Lake Michigan

Hey everyone. I'm planning on a trip around lake michigan. Starting out of west michigan and heading north through u.p. and over to wisconsin. Down to Chicago area and then back up to home in west michigan. Anyone have any suggestions of places to stop at or certain areas to ride through? Still trying to convince my wife to go, I'm going either way though.

Muskegon..!

Hi (I am about 20 miles south).

Is another GSRer in Muskegon (greg78gs750). Last year we got together for ride on River Road(s) from Muskegon to Newyago. I havent been so adventerous this year.

I suppose you know about M-22.
    I cant add much about UP or Wisconson.

Oh, maybe look for the Galena ride in late Sept (or is it early October). THat is SW Wisconson, NW Illinois. Might be a bit out of your intended route/distance, but sort of over there where you are intending to go.

Last edited by Redman; 08-05-2010, 06:04 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

That's a trip I want to take some day. Try and make a stop in Traverse City, MI. It's beautiful there.
      Current Bikes:
      2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I did this trip by bicycle a few years ago. That's quite a bit different, one hour on a motorcycle equals one day of cycling. My favorite road on that trip was along the blue star highway in SW michigan. If you can detour up the Leelanau peninsula, its also worth the extra time.

Around Chicago, hwy 45 is cool, and when you get into the burbs Sheridan Road is quite a trip.

Comment

Coming down thru WI, go between Lake Winnebago and Michigan. Kettle Moraine country is full of good roads

General note on WI roads - take the county roads, which are letters (C, FF, etc) just go in the general direction you want to head and turn on another county road to continue (south, then east)

Even better, go across the M bridge and into Canada, go around Lake Superior, MN, northern W and take the Badger back across the lake. Then, you can avoid Chicago
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X