Sturgis 2010!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sturgis 2010!!!

Is anyone going to the annual Sturgis motorcycle rally this year?

It officially started today, and goes through next week.

I grew up in the area and have only missed the rally once since I can remember. There are so many great roads and sights to see in the Black Hills that it's no wonder the rally has been going on for 70 years now. I won't be riding the GS because I'm taking my lady and she has too much stuff to pack on the bike . I will be borrowing my dad's friend's sportster 1200 for a few days, though (I'll fit in better too...)

Has anyone else been before?

Ten thousand Duckpaddling Lowsiders in one place with their Donkey engines and ridiculous Safety Pipes?
    Good time to head Somewhere else. Have fun.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

It's worse than that, Tom.

Although there might be "Ten thousand Duckpaddling Lowsiders", I understand that the total attendance is more like 2-300,000 bikes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        It's worse than that, Tom.

Although there might be "Ten thousand Duckpaddling Lowsiders", I understand that the total attendance is more like 2-300,000 bikes.

Good God, you couldn't drag me there. I guess the good news is, there's less of them around here for a little while.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

When I tell friends and coworkers I am going to a motorcycle rally they all pictures something like that, I never even been to Laconia bike week here in NE. I much prefer the 20-30 attendance at the Moosehead GS Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            Ten thousand Duckpaddling Lowsiders in one place with their Donkey engines and ridiculous Safety Pipes?
            Good time to head Somewhere else. Have fun.
            Rallies SUCK!!
            I hate em. Buncha drunk poser assed DRAMA queen bitches and weekend warriors!
            sigpic

82 GS850
            78 GS1000
            04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
            .................________-|___\____
            ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I was there in '80 and '81. Was at Ellsworth AFB just east of Rapid City those years. I'll bet it was better then than now due to there not being any "yuppie bikers" yet. Had a '79 750 Honda then, i'd get teased about it and then they'd hand me a beer... Nice area btw, took my family out there on vacation a few years ago.
              Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                .... I will be borrowing my dad's friend's sportster 1200 for a few days, though (I'll fit in better too...)

Has anyone else been before?
                Ah, take the GS,
                and be a real One Percenter, maybe a Zero Point One Percenter.

Nope, not been there, at least not for the rally week. Was there about 2 weeks prior, once, with K-car and family and pop-up camper, being a tourist.

Have rode to Muskegon Bike Time (20 miles from here) with 10 or 20 thousand, a couple hours was enough.

But, I could look at your pictures, if you care to post.

Last edited by Redman; 08-05-2010, 05:51 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

I've been a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. We stayed at a great campground that had good no name bands and plenty of cold beer. I wish we could have got more riding in but a couple emergencies back home shortened our last trip. I am ready to go back, maybe next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Ah, take the GS,
                    and be a real One Percenter, maybe a Zero Point One Percenter.

Nope, not been there, at least not for the rally week. Was there about 2 weeks prior, once, with K-car and family and pop-up camper, being a tourist.

Have rode to Muskegon Bike Time (20 miles from here) with 10 or 20 thousand, a couple hours was enough.

But, I could look at your pictures, if you care to post.

A K-car! They ROCK! I used to pull my 1100 Honda dragbike with an Aries, and a Reliant before that...
                    Dee Durant '83 750es (Overly molested...) '88 gl1500 (Yep, a wing...)

Comment

It doesn't matter when you come. There is always some kind of rally happening every weekend in or around Sturgis. There are Corvettes, Studebakers, Mustangs, Impalas, BMWs, threewheelers, Steam and gas tractors, Hotrods and even airstream trailer rallys ever summer. Then there are the music festivals, sheepdog trials, NRA international sporting clays match, and even a "Hemp hoedown" for those so inclined

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                        "Hemp hoedown"
                        Map please........
                        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Took the first ride today

I ended up riding my dad's Arlen Ness custom and he rode a friends bike. I didn't take many pictures, but will do that over the next couple days.

Comment

Originally posted by madjack57754 View Post
                            even a "Hemp hoedown" for those so inclined
                            really....
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I went to the 50th in 1990 on my '78 Sportster...
                              Rode from outside Chicago all the way there in one shot, (stopping for gas every 80 miles with that little tank ).

I had a ball....very glad I went. Always wanted to go back, but never could pull it off...

Of course that was 20 years ago and things were a little different...
                              Harley riders were a little bit different.
                              Everyone I knew that was there, rode there....
                              And rode while they were there...
                              Last edited by Baatfam; 08-08-2010, 01:36 PM.
                              Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                              '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Working...
                              X