1978 GS1000 rebuild, need info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS1000 rebuild, need info

hi im rebuilding my 1978 GS1000, and had some problems identifying what it would have looked like from the factory. Im 90% sure that it has been painted, it is a dark gray metallic, with no decals. i havent seen another one that color, and the pieces below the seat are black, so i am assuming it was black. im not sure about the front fender, it is a black plastic one, not painted just black. dont know if that has been changed or not. also the tank has a weird bump on the side, hopefully the pics show it, i can get better ones if needed, just had not seen one with a tank shaped like mine. there is no model suffix on the vin plate, just GS1000. im trying to restore this bike close to factory, with good riding upgrades where needed. any help would be greatly appreciated

hope my pics work

That's a tank off a 1980 or 1981 750 or 1100, it fits on the 1000 but looks wrong.

I have the correct tank for you, in fair shape, not rusted, needing repainting and some small dent work.

I would take that tank as a partial trade, I can't use mine on my bike. It won't work on my later GS1000 as it has CV carburetors, the petcock location interferes with the carbs. I can use yours, even though it is incorrect.
    PM me if you are interested.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Working...
    X