New Project Owner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Project Owner

I have bought my first Suzuki, a barn find, been sitting up for the past 15 years. It is a GS750. The battery box is removed, the air filter box is removed, and the cables wont move. I just got a Clymer for it. Not sure if it a 78 or 79. The tag on the downtube is 1/2 missing and painted over. The title says it is a 78 but the seller said it was a 79. It has 22,000 miles on it. Now, here is what I need help with, what all mounts on the battery box behind the side panels and filter box and the carbs. Seller claims the carbs were remaned before storage, they look pretty clean. The second thing that is bothering me. It has a 4 into 1 exhauste, unmounted. There are no mounting flanges on the pipes. Where do I find exhaust mounting flanges for it? And what size are the bolts?

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

OK don't know why you had no feedback.Mine are third gen GS750s(83's and my 85) so don't know how much transfer there is.

Comment

Have a look on Bike Bandits or Alpha Sports fiches to see what parts go in the battery box/airbox space. Similar for the flanges and bolts for the exhaust. Once you have an idea what is missing, troll ebay and bike wreckers in your area.

Post some photos of the questionable spaces, as well.....images can help us help you..good luck...

Comment

Thanks for your reply. Took your advise and found that there is no starter relay, have one on order. Keep up the good work, again thanks.

Comment

Like he says, pics are always a great help, you say the battery box is missing, and whatever attaches to it, there is a plate that attaches to the battery box that carries most of the electrical stuff, if the plate is there, then you are good, if it is missing, then there is probably a lot missing with it, like the solenoid, as you say, the regulator/rectifier, the fuse box and ignitor and other bits and pieces.

As far as the exhausts go, most the guys replace the flange bolts with studs and nuts, as the bolts tend to sieze over time and break off when you need to drop the exhaust later, leading to a world of misery.
            They are 8mm metric, as I recall, not sure about the thread pitch, sorry.

Comment

I am new enough to Suzuki's that I do not know the model year cut-offs. Also you did not mention if your GS750 is a "E" or "L" model. (it helps us to list that in your signature)
              I have an '80 GS750L and took these pictures during disassembly for future referance, maybe they will help you out. First looking down on the battery tray, the other pic is the panel that holds the solinoid, at least on mine... again, do not know if it applies to yours of not.

Last edited by Guest; 01-09-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

again, thanks to all for the replys, every bit of information is valuable to me. What I have been learning. It is a 1978. The battery box isn't missing just needed some welding and replaced. There is nothing attached to it. The bike has but one fuse, a 15 amp. All of the electrical is just hanging there on wires, but I don't think that is going to be a big issue, hope. At this point I'm stripping everything, except the engine, and am going to paint the frame. Still need to take the fork out. Almost have that done. Can't take pictures right now, camera thing. Oh, buy the way, I think my exhaust bolts are 7mm X 1.0. Haven't verfied that, but am pretty confident. Again thanks for the help
                Last edited by Guest; 01-14-2011, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Here's the parts fische for 78 from Bike Bandit...Use your favorite parts finder, I prefer partshark.com.

The better you identify your bike and the specific problem you have , the more people will respond and try to help.

Looks the exhaust bolts are 8mm X35mm to me... (part number 01500-0835B). Might check your local supplier..

Stay after it. The bike is worth it....
                  sigpic
                  1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
                  2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Working...
                  X