Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project:1980 GS1000g

Hey everyone!

I've been lurking on the GSR site for a little over a month now. About 3 weeks ago, I picked up my 1980 GS1000g from the original owner for $250. It came with the big Vetter fairing, Sissy bar, luggage rack, air suspension fork and a Derale oil cooler.

So far I have removed the fairing, sissy bar and luggage rack, I drained the old gas as well. I went ahead and replaced the handle bars with Bikemaster sport bike bars. I performed an oil change as well. Oil seemed incredibly clean for a bike that has sat for 2 years.

I have a few problems with the bike. It starts and runs but when I try to give it any throttle it just dies. The carb to cylinder boot on the left side of the engine has been repaired with some kind of clear epoxy. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also my choke knob keeps free spinning on the shaft near the handlebars. I have to grab the shaft to rotate the choke. Any insight to get the bike powering itself down the road would be greatly appreciated.

Also I would like to know if anyone knows what is entailed in converting the shaft drive to chain drive. I know, I know, a horrible idea but its the route I'd like to go if possible.

The day it came home:

After a little tinkering and cleaning:

Thank you all for your time.

you shouldn't steal things... great bike

Comment

Nice bike, great price. There a list of things to do and someone will be along to tell you. This is a great site. I got my 850g in june. No more chains for me. Unless of course I change my mind!!

Good looking starting point!

Comment

Originally posted by GSJohnny View Post
        ... It came with the big Vetter fairing, ...
        Don't know how to tell you this, but the Vetter in the picture is the SMALL ONE.
        That's the Quicksilver model, considerably smaller than the Windjammer.

... Oil seemed incredibly clean for a bike that has sat for 2 years. ...
        Most oil gets dirty with use, not time.

... I have a few problems with the bike. It starts and runs but when I try to give it any throttle it just dies. The carb to cylinder boot on the left side of the engine has been repaired with some kind of clear epoxy. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also my choke knob keeps free spinning on the shaft near the handlebars. I have to grab the shaft to rotate the choke. Any insight to get the bike powering itself down the road would be greatly appreciated. ...
        Sounds like you need the typical FULL carb cleaning. Don't just drop the bowls and spritz some cleaner in there, they need to be taken completely apart and dipped for a day each, then put back together with new o-rings from cycleorings.com.

Also appears that you need new intake boots. Repairs on those things are just not practical. Warning, they are not cheap, but the bike will never run right until you replace them.

Get a new "choke" cable.

Also I would like to know if anyone knows what is entailed in converting the shaft drive to chain drive. I know, I know, a horrible idea but its the route I'd like to go if possible.
        There is only one way to convert that bike to a chain-drive.

Sell it and get a chain-drive bike. There is NO WAY to convert that is within any reasonable budget.

Other than that, nice looking bike.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Unbelievable, instant useable classic for SFA.
          4 new intake boots here in Aus from Suzuki dealer $190.

Comment

Looks great! Did you find you had to replace the cables when you went to the lower bars? I have an 850G with similarly tallish stock bars and I'm thinking of going to superbike bars. Any comments / thoughts would be appreciated.

Comment

Very nice bike!
              Sounds like a good carburetor cleaning and you are on your way to having a nice bike. Make sure you do the other maintenance on Cliff's list. Would you want to sell that fairing?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Well this is just getting blo*dy ridiculous. You paid $250 for that bike?

Have you got any more space for a bloke like me in the little old country of yours? I don't eat much and I'm housetrained (don't believe the missus).
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Coolshaft - SFA?

Tim Tom - I did not find it necessary to shorten the cables on the GS1000 after installing the sport bars. Just a few adjustments and that was about it. It could be slightly different for the 850g. Just be patient with it and cover your tank with a towel or remove it so you dont scratch it up.

Hampshirehog - Come on over and bring your bikes and the missus too

I am sad to hear that its tough to convert it to chain. So I couldn't take the transmission from a gs1000e bike and throw it on my gs1000g? Or are they not interchangeable/removable. I understand the swing arm would have to be changed. Any more insight on this would be great.

If you guys couldn't already tell. This is my first "project bike" I am already enjoying it thoroughly.

Boots are ordered.

Where can I find carb rebuild kits? Can anyone link me?

Thanks once again.

Comment

Just spruce it up and sell it for a tidy profit and buy a chain drive bike.
                    They are dime a dozen right now.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

No easy way to swap to a chain. The 1000g shaft drive was light years ahead of the competition for it's time. I had one just like that (incl the colour) & will have another at some stage for sure...

I have a 781000E currently, there is not a huge difference. The G is more user friendly for day to day use & a little better in traffic in my opinion (probably due to the different head & carbs). Other than that there is not a huge difference. G is more comfortable too. Probably weighs a few lbs more. Gas mileage is about the same. G is much easier to get the carbs & Airbox on/off for service.

I'll give you $350 for it tomorrow
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I gotta say that is just unfair. You can't even find bikes in that good nick in Oz, and if you did it it cost at least 10 times what you paid for an unregistered non-runner.
                        1979 GS750E

Comment

SFA......Sweet.....Starts with F and rhymes with Duck......All.

Really, $250 is insane. In Australia that will get you a set of tyres fitted. Actually no it wont you would need to add another $35.

That bike would cost at least $2500-3000 over here.

Comment

Nice job on the bike. I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                              Just spruce it up and sell it for a tidy profit and buy a chain drive bike.
                              They are dime a dozen right now.
                              +1. Listen to the man, he knows of what he speaks. Get it running, shining and stopping and make your money then buy a chain drive if you want. Once it is in good shape you probably won't want to change it anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X