Project Super Thrill! 83 GS1100 GSXR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project Super Thrill! 83 GS1100 GSXR

Started out with 83 GS1100E and a pile of 07-08 GSXR parts! 07 complete 750 GSXR frontend and 08 GSXR rear wheel in factory swingarm.

Will start with the frontend first. Had to remove factory stops from 07 triple tree and weld on new ones. The had to contend with bearing stem differences. Thanks to All Balls bearings, they had the correct conversion parts in stock! $40 for the top converson bearing and $16 for the bottom.

Bearing race is very thin at the top. Kinda sharp so be carefull.

The bearings are from www.allballsracing.com . They have a very neat conversion bearing page. Simply enter your bike (steering stem) and it lists all makes and models and the bearings needed to convert. This does not take into account stem length though, which was the same for the GSXR stuff.

Will need to grind the stops after fully assembled.

All Balls part numbers.
    Top bearing 30x47x12 99-3540-5
    Bottom bearing 30x55x17 99-3519-5

Comment

Forks installed.

Comment

Clearance with 4 into 1 headers. I will loose a little in the rear but not much. A 180 tire is almost as tall as the stock 130. Might have to build new headers, but ...

Comment

I want to maintain a stockish look and the front light etc. So I made my own brackets and coated them with KG gunkote as well as the triple tree.

I pulled the light forward some from stock so I could drop the factory gage cluster a little deeper.

Comment

The ignition does not fit the new top clamp, so I go to the machine shop tommorow to make the gage cluster bracket and mill the top clamp ignition piece off.

Comment

How did you mount the gauges?

Comment

My risers will be here first of the week. On the GSXR top triple clamp, I machined .250 off the bottom so it would drop further down on the tree. This allowed me to drop the forks down as well. Was able to drop the forks somewhere around 3/4". Will measure more exact tomorrow. I will incorporate the switch into the gage cluster bracket so it will remain in the stock location.

Speedo???? for now, my Garmin placed over the stock speedo will have to do untill I can find another gage cluster to hack into and place something inside.

Ken

Comment

Any chance of getting a set of those headlight brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                    How did you mount the gauges?
                    Right now they are just setting there. Going back to the machine shop tomorrow to make the bracket. It will mount under the top triple clamp.

Comment

Any chance of getting a set of those headlight brackets?
                      Hmmmm. Possibly later on. I just took some aluminum plate, traced them out and welded it to some clamshells from some aluminum tubing I had laying around. I do not weld aluminum very often, so I had to use the old die grinder quite a bit to get them shaped up! I still have the templates. I could cut some out pretty easy of you want to weld them up your self. I really wanted to do a clamp but that would take a lot of machine time which I do not have... that was the quickest way i could come up with to get them on the fork tubes.

Ken

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
                        Right now they are just setting there. Going back to the machine shop tomorrow to make the bracket. It will mount under the top triple clamp.

I am anxious to see it I am in the middle of a conversion as well..

Last edited by Guest; 08-14-2010, 11:32 PM.

Comment

I have followed your threads and that bike is one of the inspirations for this project! I will deffinitely post pics of the bracket when I get it done.

Your rear sprocket...what tooth count? I am looking at the same brand in a 45 tooth count 520 chain.

I love the color of your bike as well!

Comment

Originally posted by Darkstang View Post
                            I have followed your threads and that bike is one of the inspirations for this project! I will deffinitely post pics of the bracket when I get it done.

Your rear sprocket...what tooth count? I am looking at the same brand in a 45 tooth count 520 chain.

I love the color of your bike as well!
                            Thanks man didn't mean to jack your thread, I'll delete the big pics, My sprocket is a 48 in 520 pitch.

Comment

Thanks man didn't mean to jack your thread, I'll delete the big pics, My sprocket is a 48 in 520 pitch.
                              Leave them in the thread! That way when people search in the future, they can see more examples and get more out of their search!

With no stickies in these forums, finding info takes A LONG time to weed through the searches.

ken

PS, do you have a part number for that sprocket? the biggest I could find in 520 for my wheel was a 45 tooth?
                              What wheel you got?

Comment

Working...
                              X