I'm officially "in over my head" 83 GS 750E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm officially "in over my head" 83 GS 750E

I picked this up to be a "pet project", as I have grown tired of working on cars, I'd decide to start on bikes.

When I picked it up, I knew it had idle issues, with a few cosmetic flaws and such.

Well, I decided to trace down the idle problem, found intake O-rings shot.
    Then things just started to pile up
    - Found the R/R shot(stator is good though)
    - It's been laid down at least 2x
    - Pod filters, airbox is long gone, have no choice but to Jet D.J. Stg3
    - P**s poor paint job
    - needs rear tire
    - No mirrors (mirror hub busted)
    - Broken clutch lever
    - All signals broken
    - O-ring chain shot,
    And this is just the beginning.

Went to replace the exhaust,(removing stock, to install 4-1 w/Kerker) ended up with THREE broken bolts, all beside the frame. Well, short of pulling the head, I decided to pull the motor. The motor shows good compression, so I decided to skip the head.

In removing the head, I see that I have an ignition box from a 6 cylinder? not sure what model, or any of that, but it was working before, so who knows?

Well, this is where I am, for now. I need to bull the motor to trill the bolts, and then it's on to the carbs, chain, and discover what else could be wrong.

The upside to all of this is, in the trade, it was my bike, and $500 to me. So up to this point, all the repairs have cost ME nothing.

Also curious as to how to degrease the bike? Is there a method any of Y'all prefer?

thanks for letting me vent.

This stuff works great for de-greasing..
    Cleaning products to tackle your toughest household or industrial cleaning challenges. We offer the heavy duty degreasers, cleaners & cleaning equipment.

It helps to have a pressure washer too

R/R shot.. FH012 and a eastern beaver wiring kit will set it right

broken signals.. ya got hands

broken mirror mounts.. Bar end mirrors..
    Halcyon 830's are awesome but $$..
    Bar End Mirrors with Convex Glass for wider viewing areas. Accessories for Motorcycles and Triumph Bikes - Halcyon

I went the less expensive route with RK mirrors from Dennis Kirk.

Have fun!!

Comment

To dress up the engine there are stainless bolt kits available. Get some anti seize on those exhaust bolts when you go to put it on, a lot of guys use stainless allen heads for the exhaust bolts. I use never seize on mine and never have a problem with the stainless in the alum head.

Comment

I have the lights, levers, rectifier, and mirrors fixed. Actually found a N.O.S. mirror hub.

I have the jet kit, new exhaust studs, O-ring Kit, and all the misc, waiting to be installed. It just seems that every time I make head way, I find something else that sets me back.
        Just getting frustrated, that's all. My Goldwing needs to go down for a water pump, so I was hoping this project would be minimal. Oh well, I've wrenched on stuff most of my life. Couple more days won't hurt

Comment

Should be a real treat when you get it going. Hang in there!

Comment

quote:
            I see that I have an ignition box from a 6 cylinder? not sure what model, or any of that, but it was working before, so who knows?

what do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by blowerbike View Post
              quote:
              I see that I have an ignition box from a 6 cylinder? not sure what model, or any of that, but it was working before, so who knows?

what do you mean?
              It has an ignition module from some sort of 6 cylinder, zip tied to the frame.
              4 wires from the bike harness to the module, and then 4 plug wires. 2 terminals are empty

The bike was running when I got it, and the P.O. told me it was there. Not sure why it was put there, or where the factory unit goes, but I'm guessing this is No Bueno as well?

Comment

Can you post a picture, so we (the huddled masses) can figure out the application of that box?

Comment

First thing, i just noticed my thread title was an unintended pun...I really am INTO this bike, over my HEAD. It's because of these broken bolts in the head, that I have gone this far. Sometimes I crack my self up.

OK, here are the pics of the module:

You can see where the plug wires fit, on the back is the 6 female spades. Two are open, and no signal is generated. There are no part numbers, Google Images doesn't produce anything. I'm not sure what it came from, or how it continues to work.

What do the huddled masses recommend????????

Comment

Originally posted by Barncat View Post
                    First thing, i just noticed my thread title was an unintended pun...I really am INTO this bike, over my HEAD.
                    It's a good thing that pun wasn't intentional... I don't mind not getting it, now. Most of us around here are quick enough to catch the intentional puns

Comment

Looks like a car coil pack to me.Can't even think how that would work.Putting good penetrating oil on the exhaust bolts and letting it work for a few days has worked for me.Have taken 3 systems off my project bikes,not one broken bolt.

Comment

Judging by the rest of the crap the PO has done, and the amount of force needed to break these off, I'd say he'd already had me beat to the punch.

I barley got a quarter turn on before the sheered off.

Comment

It should work fine as you're still firing the coils when you want them to via your ignition .
                          You've got a spare set of coils on board .
                          Well done .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Yeah that coil will work fine. Same priciple, just two spares.

At Uni we raced in the SAE class of motorsports and to get one of our engines running I pulled the coil pack out of my 6 cylinder Ford Falcon.

Asthetically though, I would try and get some more standard coils in there.

Comment

Asthetically, it is unseen. The P.O. had it mounted under the gas tank.

Comment

Working...
                              X