Saltville, VA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saltville, VA

I just returned from a business trip to Saltville, VA. Spent the week working along the north fork of the Holston River. I wish I had a bike, and more time to explore some of this beautiful country.

We did take a drive up a twisty (mostly gravel) road to Laurel Bed Lake. And a nice long drive (mostly gravel) heading north east along the river. I know there are a lot of excellent paved roads in the area worthy of 2-wheeled adventuring.

Stayed at the Holiday Inn in Bristol. Had dinner one night in Abingdon, at The Tavern. Very nice!

And your camera was............where ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Saltville, VA like a trip back in time. Could be Mayberry, USA.

Hardly says enough about the history of this area. Salt was more precious than gold in Revolutionary War days. During the Civil War, the salt works were one of the most heavily fortified industries. The war would have been shortened by years if it had been captured by Union forces.

Laurel Bed Lake. Natural lake. Some say it's damed, but that's not true. The spillway is engineered to prevent erosion.

The north fork of the Holston River is down to the left. It's natural and un-engineered for most of it's 60 mile run down to the dam in Knoxville. Beautiful, natural countryside.

Comment

I had the pleasure of working in Saltville at a fish hatchery during the summer of 2009. The hatchery was able to use the locally mined salt for the tanks.

Really a scenic area with lots of great roads. I attached a picture of one roads that I really thought was a pretty cool ride.

View from the side of the road.

Comment

Working...
        X