GS750EX refurbishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750EX refurbishing

Some of my favorite elements of this forum are the awesome restoration projects. I don't know if I'll be able to keep up with some of them, but I'll try to put some updates on here now and again. In advance, thank you for your interest, and for your input.

My upcoming winter project will be refurbishing my 1981 GS750E. Basic background of the bike: 3,060 miles, third owner, overall good condition, runs but needs carb work, my first carbureted bike. It appears to be 99% original - even the tires are original (hard like rocks). I am reasonably mechanically inclined, but this will be a great learning experience.

I'll try to get paint done before winter.
    Here's my basic list of what I plan to do, not necessarily in this order.
    Paint with original graphics and color.
    Carb rebuild (completely, not half as$ed).
    New Petcock.
    Remove the little bit of frame (and centerstand) corrosion and re-paint (not the entire frame, for now).
    Fork Seals.
    Reg/Rect upgrade.
    New handlebars.
    Rebuild calipers.
    Paint/polish wheels to look original.
    New tires and bearings.
    Adjust Valves.
    New Exhaust.
    And, as needed, chain/sprockets and install head gasket.

I already put fresh oil in the engine, and drained the fuel from the tank. The paintable bits are off.

As of now, I plan to keep the factory rectangular headlamp. That's been a back-and-forth decision process.

I have a terrible itch to ride this beauty, but I need to get her road ready. For now my DL1000 helps with the itch, but still...

I have a question or two, or so.

1. Do I need a new head gasket? Please see the attached picture. This bike has been unwashed for years, so I hope the photo provides some evidence as to its health.

2. Why was this wire disconnected, and what does it serve? Again, please see the picture. If I can't get more than one on a post, see the following.

3. What else should be done to this bike to make it safe and reliable?
    Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2010, 05:52 PM.

"2. Why was this wire disconnected, and what does it serve?"
    It is the large black wire near the disconnected black wire with the blue connector. It was not connected, and I assumed it goes where I have it, as that is where the wire's memory had it. The one with the blue connector was on the battery.

Comment

Mystery Wire

I just pulled the airbox on my E model for a peek and there's no wire connected to that location, it merely holds the clamp for the battery vent. And mine doesn't seem to have a wire that size anywhere. Have you tried to trace it down? Perhaps it's the ground for a "battery tender" or some other accessory connection.
      sigpic
      1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
      2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

Hmm. I wonder about that. Does this help? You can see where the other end of the wire connects (lower right).
        Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2010, 08:27 PM.

Comment

I thought of a couple of additional questions. Do I need to use tubes in my new tires, or can they be "modern" tuebless tires? Secondly, is there anything on my list that I do NOT need to do, for example, caliper rebuild?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-06-2010, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Are you referring to the really fat cable that seems to run from the rear master cylinder to a bolt on the battery tray? If so, no clue. Never seen anything like that and I don't know why it's there - most likely installed by a misguided PO.

Regarding the brakes, yes, they need to be done. You need to change the brake lines too. And I'd run tubes inside the wheels unless the wheels are imprinted with "tubeless applicable" or something to this effect.

BTW, I suggest you open up a photobucket account and then upload all your photos there. From there, you can link the [IMG] code into your posts here and the photo will show up in high resolution.

Good luck and keep those photos coming.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Yes, it is the "fat" one to which you refer. Remember, that wire was not connected at one end. It was just there. It seems like a non-hack wire, if that makes sense, in that it has professional looking ends, and all. I have no idea, though. It seems to have absolutely no function, but I thought I'd ask. No one else has a wire like that?

I thought I might need to do the brake lines. These seem fine, and have no cracks, but it seems like a good idea to change them.

I'll look into that photobucket site. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
              Are you referring to the really fat cable that seems to run from the rear master cylinder to a bolt on the battery tray? If so, no clue. Never seen anything like that and I don't know why it's there - most likely installed by a misguided PO.

Regarding the brakes, yes, they need to be done. You need to change the brake lines too. And I'd run tubes inside the wheels unless the wheels are imprinted with "tubeless applicable" or something to this effect.

BTW, I suggest you open up a photobucket account and then upload all your photos there. From there, you can link the [IMG] code into your posts here and the photo will show up in high resolution.

Good luck and keep those photos coming.

Comment

Judging by the connector on the end, it looks like it went straight to the battery post, which one, I don't know, my thougts would be that considering the milage and the age of the bike, it was not ridden very often, so probably a mod so the previous owner could hook up a battery charger/jumper cables/battery tender to the battery without having to open the seat/side cover. Or an earth cable?
                Just remove it if you don't want it.
                At 3000 miles, I seriously doubt that you would need a new head gasket, that one looks fine to me.
                I read on here somewhere that Suzuki, gave their brake lines a 2 year operational lifespan, and recommended they be changed, so maybe a good idea, get the stainless braided lines apparently they do not flex or bulge under pressure, so apply better braking, I don't know, mine have been on my bike for 28 years, and it has never failed to stop yet.
                That said, I am going to braided hoses now with my rebuild.
                and yes keep the pics coming.

Comment

Well, I have another question. Will I be destroying the value or desirability of my bike if I do a different color? I absolutely am replacing the graphics, but I'd prefer a different color.

What do you think?

Comment

Changing the paint design…

Some people choose a good color and design, some just make it ugly.
                    It's 50-50. I would try to design Suzuki inspired graphics.
                    Bill
                    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I have selected a color/"graphics" system for my paint. It'll look great, IMHO, based on my first attempt at using Gimp to recolor something. I don't plan to share until I get it done, because everyone likes a surprise . It is nothing outlandish, as I am trying to keep this paint true to the bike. On that note, I plan to keep the rectangular headlight, too.

How do I get the "GS750" badges off of the side covers. If I have to pop them off of the little tab that holds them in, I thought I could cut some threads on the stem on the backside of the badges and put them back on with a nut and locktite.
                      Any other ideas?

There was something else I wanted to ask but cannot think of at the moment.

Edit: I recall what I wanted to ask. Do I clear coat over the decals I apply?
                      Last edited by Guest; 09-07-2010, 06:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X