Boingk's '84 GSX-1100EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boingk's '84 GSX-1100EF

Before I start out, this project has been posted elsewhere. I just though it would be good to have it here, seeing as this is the site for GS's.

Bit of backstory, I was riding an '88 CBR250R as it had come up at a price too good to refuse. The '85 GS850 was in the shed, awaiting a few final topuches before being put on the road. I got wind of a big old Suzuki 1100 going for a reasonable price, so went to have a look at what it was. Turned out to be a near immaculate '84 GSX-1100EF - exactly the sort of thing I was after.

I promptly sold both the CBR250 & GS850 (at a profit!) and bought the GSX-1100. It was a bit rough at first, with a shagged rear tyre and a dodgy front that gave out wobbles like no-ones business when passing 45mph/70kmh. After rushing around town for an afternoon to get it road-legal, I set off to my Fathers place on a 200 mile round trip. Here are a few photos from a ride soon afterwards:

The bike was using some oil (still is) and after asking around several places including here, I decided it was because it had been sitting for 6 years and the rings needed some exercise to get them moving freely and get their spring back. Subsequently, after 1,000 miles I changed the 10W-40 oil I had put in for 20W-50. This has helped with consumption somewhat.

The front indicator lights were looking very tired so I replaced them with some 21W halogen units:

Comment

The bike also came with a gear rack and top bag, and I bought some throw-over panniers from a friend at work for 'mates rates'. The combination lets me carry a huge amount of gear, and subsequently it is rare for me to be using both topbag and panniers at the same time. Here are some photos I took of the bike rigged up for touring:

Comment

The next step of the journey was to exchange the stock airbox for some aftermarket performance items, namely individual Unifilters. I oiled them as per instructions in a 50/50 blend of petrol and motor oil, and then gently removed the excess and allowed to stand. Any further excess was removed, and then the boots were cleaned and the pods fitted to the carburettors.

These are my hands after airbox removal the ordeal:

Comment

After some messing around, I've arrived at the following setting for the carburettors. Mainjets are Mikuni 140's across the board, with the jet needle set to the 3rd (middle) clip position. Mixture screw settings remain unchanged. The bike has responded quite well to this treatment, with an addictive topend and still very good middle and low-range.

I have also drilled the outer baffling in the exhausts to provide some more flow and a bit better note. This consisted of me drilling four 8mm holes in the endcap of each silencer. The resulting exhaust note, coupled with the induction noise from the Unifilters, makes for a very different experience from stock. I highly recommend it!

Lastly, the clutch cable (most likely still original) had frayed and I replaced it with a new OEM unit. At the same time I decided the rear brake pads could use replacing so got some decent aftermarket units. The old clutch cable truly was horrendous...

Comment

That is all the progress for now. Feel free to comment on my build, and ask any questions you might have. I'll leave you with a video of me being a bit of a lark, haha:

The mighty GSX-1100EF showing its stuff. It might be old but it sure can make a mess of a rear tyre.

Cheers - boingk
            Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2010, 01:10 AM. Reason: Couldn't figure out how to post video...still can't.

Comment

Boingk

I love the look of your bike but then again I am biased!! I have one of them too, right down to the industrial rack and matching throw over saddlebags...

Cheers
              Tas
              Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2010, 06:23 AM.

Comment

My rack is in the shed, that and the throwover bags only go on for long trips........... seems like there is a trend happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunger King View Post
                  My rack is in the shed, that and the throwover bags only go on for long trips........... seems like there is a trend happening.
                  Hmmmmmm Aussie 1100 with racks and throwovers..... You could be right there Dunger!!

Comment

Cheers taswegian - any mods to yours? Is there a thread floating around here someplace?

As for the racks and throwovers... must have items IMO. The rack bag doubles as my gym bag, too - very conveniant.

As an aside... what kind of tyres do you guys favour for the rear, and what milage do you get? I've got a (6+ year old!) Metzeler Marathon on the back and its almost down to the wear indicators after only 1,600km :S

- boingk

Comment

Only 1,600 kms? I wonder if it could have anything to do with the fun you were having in the video clip...besides the public works guys will probably be by compaining about the sidewalk damage.
                      I like the Bridgestone BT-45. LOTS of grip, good not great durability.
                      2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have Michelin Macadams on mine and she handles nicely. When I first got her she Bt45's and she would spin the tyres on a good fistful of throttle.... As for mods I have stripped her naked and gone for wide bars Rgv250 4pot calipers & Gsxr master cylinder for the comfort of the adjustable lever and thats about it....I will post some pics when I get her back on the wheels and out of the shed she is getting the a front end overhaul at the moment intime for summer...

Oh btw do yourself a favour and check that the swingarm isnt siezed on the pivot bolt.. Mine was and I snapped it at 110kph and it wasnt pleasant but it did stay upright!!!!

Comment

On my second set of Avon Roadriders (120-80/16 F and 130-80/18 Rear) did 10000km on the first set to legal tread depth, mostly touring and getting back into the swing of riding an EF after 20 years on lighter machines with 19" front wheels. The front has the same width and rolling diameter as the 120-70/17 on my mates Blackbird and rides like it is on rails. Apart from taking the lower and side fairings off and fitting VF1000F bars (higher and closer for my short arms) my machine is completely stock and 40,000km young, I have an urge to modify stuff but keep talking myself out of it..........

Oil consumption is also related to ambient temperature and usage, I used 1.5 litres of oil going to Philip Island last year in the freezing rain and wind, temp needle never got off the bottom stop, on the way back it was warmer and the pace a little bit brisk, used 100ml of oil and temp needle hovered just under the 100 mark.

Comment

Steve, I've put the rear tyre wear down to its age mostly as it was bought by the previous owner in 2004 and never fitted before the bike was put into storage. In other words, it was hard and brittle until it got worn right down and started to have some grip at its core. Terrible tyre, replacing soon with a new Metzeler Lazertec or Marathon so as to match the Lazertec front I put on.

Dunger, I'm running a Metzeler Lazertec 110/90 on the front and it is yards ahead in feel over the 120/80 that was previously on there. Much more willing to turn in and generally better to ride on IMO. Interesting to hear about your oil consumption - was your bike stored as well?

Taswegian - sounds like a nice setup you've got, and cheers for the tip about the piv bolts - will check asap.

Don't suppose anyone has fitted a 140 width rear tyre to their 1100, or know if its possible? Considering doing so if it is.

Cheers - boingk

Comment

My bike was part of a collection of bikes and was run around for a bit every few months,

you may get a 140 rear on if you take a flap disc to the left hand edge of the tyre, by my measurement there is about 4mm interference with the chain.

Comment

Working...
                              X