Connecticut to North Carolina

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Connecticut to North Carolina

Taking a bit of a ride down to NC from central CT. Any suggestions to prepare my bike, or route suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Head south to New York city and take I-80 west. Don't stop till you get to San Francisco. Ohh....North Cack-a-lacki. I-95?

Charlie G
    (former tarheel in Nor Cal)
    sigpic
    83 GS1100g
    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I think it would be a really nice ride. I'm planning on Georgia to NYC before it gets cold. I use Microsoft Streets and Trips and I can choose to not go on any big highways. It then generates nice back road maps. Let me know if you'd like something for your route. I can print out a PDF and send it to you pretty easily.

Comment

Charlie San Fran sounds great right now. But we would have to start a fundraiser for me to go on that trip hahah. I think ill just be camping on the way down to NC. And that's a big part of my previous post I left out... Does anyone know a good place to pitch a tent possibly in Washington. And then in Charlotte.

Comment

Preparation

Comment

Nice! Thank you apogeecustom..... And robert m. pirsig

Comment

What does the GS850 get for gas mileage? I'm trying to budget it now what would gas cost me?

Comment

Hey Carmine. IMO unless you have a specific reason to visit NC near Charlotte, I'd suggest that you visit Eastern TN instead. C'mon down I-81 and jump on and off the BRP whenever you like. As the saying goes, "Its all good". Seriously though, having existed in NC (near Charlotte) for 8 yrs prior to relocating to paradise (aka Eastern TN), the roads within 10 miles of here blow away any within 50 of the Queen City. I'll expect some flaming due to that last statement.
                PM me and I'll give you a headsup of all kinds of places to check out.
                Willie
                Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

I concur. I love Nash-vegas, I have a few friends there in Antioch went to Bonaroo and all last year. But I'm going to see my girlfriend in NC. I'm planning on going down to TN soon also but I'm going to take an alternate route and go though Ohio then straight down. It'll be a good ride.

Comment

What part of NC are you coming too? That would make a big difference on what roads I could recommend. My work takes me to VA, MD & PA quite often so I might be able to help with some advice if I know what part of NC your heading too.

Originally posted by willie View Post
                    the roads within 10 miles of here blow away any within 50 of the Queen City. I'll expect some flaming due to that last statement.
                    Willie, you won't get a lot of argument on that from me. There are few roads, mostly up around South Mountain or Old Hwy 18 that are inside 50 miles of Charlotte that would compete with the roads in east TN.. There are a few hidden spots in other places, but you really have to go 75 miles or so from Charlotte to get good twisties.

Comment

Ok so I'm leaving this friday morning. Hoping to get down to NC in the same day. I have one more question... What do you guys think ill be spending on gas for the trip?

Comment

What are you riding??

Comment

Right... I suppose that's relevant. Haha.
                          Its a 81 GS850G

Comment

Blue Ridge Mtns, Boone and Asheville, Blue Ridge Parkway, my territory, so damn beautiful many bikers of every type hit this place in the summer, only the Outer Banks is as beautiful, everywhere else in between is a sewer

Comment

Originally posted by CARMINEOWEN View Post
                              Ok so I'm leaving this friday morning. Hoping to get down to NC in the same day.
                              I sent you a PM about hotels

Comment

Working...
                              X