installing my cool new speedo...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

installing my cool new speedo...

i got this cool new speedo/tach gizmo, the vaper trail tech and i have a few questions that maybe a few of you could help me out.. part of the installion is removing the speedo and tach cables. which i do like but it does leave holes, so i had an idea. the places where the cables originally go in, i wanted to replace them w/ plugs or small bolts. the tach i don't see an issue has long has there is no leaks. the speedo, i was going to remove the mechanism/gear all together and replace it w/ a spacer. what do y'all think? are these good ideas? hopefully i am not overlooking something, if so please let me know. thanks in advance.

Should be no problem with either idea. Careful of the tach drive, you'll need a hollow bolt (you might have to drill one yourself) to clear it from memory if you want to leave the drive in place.

You could probably take the whole drive out & cap it using the original retainer to retain it but you'd need to make up a cap with a relief for an O ring etc.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

sweet ty. think i will stick w/ the simpler plug/bolt idea. on the "holes". have to think alittle on the speedo mechanism.

Comment

Originally posted by smokienutz View Post
        i got this cool new speedo/tach gizmo, the vaper trail tech and i have a few questions that maybe a few of you could help me out.. part of the installion is removing the speedo and tach cables. which i do like but it does leave holes, so i had an idea. the places where the cables originally go in, i wanted to replace them w/ plugs or small bolts. the tach i don't see an issue has long has there is no leaks. the speedo, i was going to remove the mechanism/gear all together and replace it w/ a spacer. what do y'all think? are these good ideas? hopefully i am not overlooking something, if so please let me know. thanks in advance.
        Don't know if you L is the same as an E cam cover but if it is, you can put a suzuki cap/plug on as the katanas have them. Kats have electronic tachos.

Also, if you need help with the wiring, I have a wiring diagram for them from putting them on '82,'83 katanas. color code should be similar to an '80. I guess I should have asked if this is for the project 1100.
        Last edited by katman; 09-22-2010, 03:14 AM.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

yes this is for the 1980 gs1100L. and ty for the wireing diagram, but for some reason it is different. before all this i tried rewring my harness a month r so back using a different year diagram diagram. it was a nghtmare. i bought a clymer for my year bike. and the demons slowly left lol. so this time around i am hoping they don't return.

Comment

You can replace the tach drive in most GS models with the block-off plug Suzuki used in later (electronic tach) models. Bike Bandit part nos. 1064353 (490253-001) for the plug and 1064362 (490260-001) for the seal band. Less than $15. These parts are listed for the 1982 GS1100S, so it should fit your bike.

As for the electrics, you don't need to modify the bike's wiring at all, just remove the old gauges (cut or unplug their wiring) and wire the new speedo to the battery and ground (or the ignition switch hot wire (red) and ground). Tach sensor usually wraps around a plug wire.
            Last edited by Guest; 09-22-2010, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
              You can replace the tach drive in most GS models with the block-off plug Suzuki used in later (electronic tach) models. These parts are listed for the 1982 GS1100S, so it should fit your bike.
              Sounds strangly familiar.....
              KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

Originally posted by katman View Post
                Sounds strangly familiar.....
                It's like deja vu all over again! Ray.

Comment

thank you for the part numbers. i will try that. might be easier than fabbing things up.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    It's like deja vu all over again! Ray.
                    did i ask this stuff before?

Comment

bought the plug and it fit nicely. ty.

Comment

Working...
                      X