Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1988 GS450L Bobber Project

Hi All,

I just picked up a pretty nice but in need of attention 1988 GS450L that I am thinking about turning into a bobber. Over the summer I spent a lot of time working on a sweet 1983 GS450L that I kept pretty much stock. That one is near mint and will stay that way!

I paid nothing for the 1988 so I thought that a bobber project might be in order. It has been dropped a couple of times, smashed turn signals, dented tank, crappy seat, etc. The frame is straight and there is no major damage. Someone welded a sissy bar onto the frame and I have already removed that mess.

Basically I am looking for input, suggestions, ideas, and photos from you guys before I get crazy with the Sawzall.....

I saw one thread here where someone hacked up a really nice GS300 and I do not want to go down that road. I would however like to keep the rear shocks. I want to bob the upper rear seat part of the frame, install a solo seat, make custom fenders, hide the electronics, lose the side covers, lose the passenger pegs and mounts, install new bars, etc.

This will be my first bobber project and I want to do things right.

As always your input will be greatly appreciated!

Have a look:

Thanks, Mark

So maybe I should stay stock?

Any thoughts?

Mark
    Last edited by Guest; 09-27-2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Sounds like a fun project and you've got a perfect specimen to start with! I'm not a huge fan of bobbers, mostly because I can't imagine they are comfortable at all to ride. But I think they are really built for appearance and the ones done well do look very cool. I guess there are two styles of bobbers I like the most. The really rough looking, thrown together, intentionally unrefined builds. Kinda like the 'rat rod' of the bike world. Then there's the very nicely done traditional style with hard tail and drag bars, no fender, springer seat, etc. The best part of this project though is that you build it the way YOU like it I'll definately be watching your project so keep it updated with photos!

Comment

Cool

Subscribed. I love bobbers, and have been shopping around for another GS to bob on the cheap. I'm with hornswaggle on the effort, either all in or rat pack style. Please don't put a chopper/bates seat on the rear end and call it good! do it up right!

Oh, and by all means post pics of your inspiration bikes. Let's see what you have in mind?

Comment

This is kind of what I have been thinking about except that I will have a front brake! I like the rear and as I said, I would really like to keep the rear shocks instead of hardtailing it. Always open to input!

Mark

Comment

I know it is not a suzuki, But this is my bobber bike. It's my 'day' bike, for work and running around.

It's a Honda CB650, total invested 220$. (this includes brand new tires, new chain, new oil filter.) the most expensive thing is the upholstery on the seat (80$) and the 20$ for fiberglass to make the seat pan.

don't ban me from GS or hate mail for having a 'honda'
            (at least is has a suzuki tank and a gs l speedo!)

Marc

Last edited by kochic; 09-28-2010, 05:47 PM.
            AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Fritz,

Like the bobber. I too would enjoy some rear suspension on a bobber. Hardtails are for young punks, or someone without back problems.

Comment

Thanks guys for the input so far!

I am 45 and a hardtail is really not what I am looking for either. I want to keep the springs but I want to lose as much as I can without making the bike unsafe. A solo seat is in mind. I will not be raking the front end. The upper rear frame is due to be chopped off, but again, I am looking for thoughts and experience from those of you who have attempted this before I do any drastic cutting.

I don't want to screw this project up.
                Before I do anything to the point of no return I will keep it original.

Bobbing it will be more fun as this bike needs a lot of TLC to remain stock.

The seat, signals, grips, bars, controls, etc. are shot and will be trashed.
                The gas tank has a couple of dents. I will deal with that.
                The frame is straight, it runs, numbers match.
                It needs funds either way I decide to bring her back, but one way or the other, I will.
                Call it my winter project.

I'm also tired of prowling flea bay for original stock plastics and such...

My local bike yard will enable me to make a Suzahamahon bobber...

Or again, it will remain stock, just not real pretty.....

Mark

Comment

Well,

If you're into the whole Bratstyle thing, I have narrowed gas tanks before.....I could be coerced into helping out a fellow GS'er...

Not mine, from Bratsyle:

Comment

Thanks for the offer Scotty! I might take you up on that.

Nice bike. A little more drastic than I will be doing, but a nice bike nevertheless.

Please keep the ideas coming. I am going to do a little of this, and a little of that.

Mark

Comment

You still around?

Comment

Working...
                      X