Tank Clean out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tank Clean out

I have a 1982 GS650g coming Saturday and I am trying to gather info because I know I will be up most of the night working on it. Here is my first question:

What is the best way to drain the gas tank and then to clean out any varnished gas?

THe bike has been sitting in a garage for 4yrs not ran. Plus I need to clean the carbs as well and I will rebuild them but I am hoping I can get it running so I can ride for a few weeks before it gets too cold.

i just got done refurbishing the tank of my 83 gs1100e about two nights ago.. it was quite a process because somebody had put a latex liner ( kreem or red kote) in it and it failed.. rusted out below the latex YUCK!!!

i ordered this kit... http://www.por15.com/HD-CYCLE-TANK-R...ctinfo/HDCTRK/

now the chemicals in this kit are good... but there wasnt enough stripper so i went to home depot and got more ( the big thing of sprayable stuff not the gel) . while i was there i also picked up a few gallons of muriatic acid and some guerilla duct tape. using the duct tape to cover the fuelcock and float hole, i ran stripper through it like 8 times till all that latex crap was gone from the inside. rinsed real good with the garden hose, then filled the tank with a 1 to 10 ratio of muriatic acid. it ate the rust out in bout an hour!! then at this point i put the por-15 kit to work following their instructions. i stole my daughters hairdryer and propped it on top of the tank to dry it out.... the inside of my tank now has a rock hard epoxy lining and looks brand new on the inside.. i think it ended up costing about 55$ for everything.. but to not worry about rust in the tank for a long long time it's worth it. but if u just want to remove the varnished gas the marine clean chemical that comes in the kit can be purchased seperatley and is made to do just that. http://www.por15.com/MARINE-CLEAN/productinfo/MCG/

if u want something from a local store and don't want to order online i heard that MEK from the hardware stores will do it to. MEK is methyl ethyl k_something or other and can be found by the paint stripper. i didn't use MEK in my tank but ive heard it works.

and always use eye protection and gloves.. i learned the hard way that all these chemicals are HOT!!!

Comment

to drain the gas

1) make sure the fuel cock is off.
      2) get a five gallon gas can.
      3) unhook the gasline from the carbs, not the gastank
      4) set the five gallon gas can up on a bucket or a stool.. something to where the gas line off ur tank can reach it.

5) turn the fuel cock on and just let it run.
      6) turn the fuelcock back off when its done and remove the tank. there will be a little bit more in the tank that pools below the fuel cock hole so once u have ur tank off put the gas line back in the tank, turn it on, and shake the rest out.

dont put this gas back in ur motorcycle. i've been using my old gas in my lawnmower

Comment

and when u go to clean the carbs absolutely get the haynes manual... there is no replacement for having it..

Comment

I'm not a chemist but have read in various places that muratic acid is strong to the point where you need to neutralize it with a base before it will stop eating the metal. Hope this is not the case but bears mentioning to anyone reading this thread. Phosphoric acid, the stuff in the POR-15 kit, is slower but more friendly to the metal.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

How do I get rid of the bad gas in a eco friendly manner?

Comment

Lawnmower or something similar.

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
                How do I get rid of the bad gas in a eco friendly manner?
                I put the couple of gallons of less-than-ideal gas into my cage tank. The tank on the car was nearly full, so there was enough good gas to dilute the effects of the junky stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  I'm not a chemist but have read in various places that muratic acid is strong to the point where you need to neutralize it with a base before it will stop eating the metal. Hope this is not the case but bears mentioning to anyone reading this thread. Phosphoric acid, the stuff in the POR-15 kit, is slower but more friendly to the metal.
                  The tank liner for the por15 kit neatralizes acid while its bonding to the metal... if ur not using that put some baking soda in and shake it around.. then rinse clean with some hose water.. good point

Comment

Well the good thing is I got the bike and I pulled the tank and there is no rust. So I have the gas draining out now. Next thing is to figure out how to pull the carbs? I will post pics in a minute

Comment

Comment

Nice look! clean and tight and stock I like it!

Comment

What's up with the over length yellow plug wires?Not really a problem but something finicky me would tidy up.Very nice 650 for a gift.

Comment

Yeah the Yellow wires have been Identified for changing. I have the tank off her and drained out and now I am trying to figure out the easiest way to remove the carbs? ANy ideas?

Comment

Found no easy way to get the carbs out in 30 years I've been riding and wrenching on bikes.A few tips though,get the air box as far back as it will go.Take all the clamps off,yeah they are a pain to get back on.It's more of a pain to straighten them after bending them to h***.BTW the yellow wires are cool,just need to shorten them.

Comment

Working...
                              X