So I've got another one (850G)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For weeks I've been eyeing up a 79 850G. Debating between getting it or not. After my vacation, I showed my dad (BFD-550) and he ACTUALLY said it looks like a good deal. So, my best friend and I took a ride up and came home with the 850. This bike is in very good shape. Better than what my 650G looked and looks like now (see Broken Promises build). Even though it was raining, she fired up right away but ran rough. Once we got home, we figured out that the air box wasn't completely seated on the carbs. Pulled the carbs off and cleaned em cuz, well, why not? After an hour of fighting and heatin up the intake boots (with spot lights not fire), they went on. Still runs a little rought and found out that the #1 cyl isn't firing. Coil works but plug doesn't fire. So its off to the parts store for new plugs. Pics will come as soon as I'm home and I can find my camera.

Originally posted by AF_Bill View Post
    WARNING! WARNING!

It's contagious, for sure.

I have a 650L sitting on the back porch (that's not in my sig) and THREE 850s in the stable.
    Congrats on the new ride, just waiting for the pictures.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I know Steve. Can't find my camera at this time. As soon as I do they will be posted.

Replaced cyl #1 and she's runnin a lot better. Sounds like it has some slack in the cam chain though. Was gonna ride her but the noise concerned me. We'll see what happens in the next few days.

Comment

Congratulations on getting one of the rarest bikes. It's the only 850 with a kick start and you'll be shocked how far you can go between fill ups. Great bikes, can't wait to see her.
        Rob
        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I'm glad to see you got the air filter box on, I never could seem to finesse it on properly. Really happy that it looks like my bike found a good home

I found the cam covers (still shiny black) and I'll have them in the mail for you along with the original (at least the one that was on when I bought it) engine guard. You may need to source 8 tapered screws to bolt the covers on - I included the SS alan screws that I had for them, but I think they're too small to work.

Also, I forgot to mention the headlight on/off switch on the left side controls was made to work years ago - so you can turn the headlight off if, for some reason, you feel the need to. Just wanted to make mention of that so you don't inadvertanatly ride with the lights out (easily glued back into the "on" position so you can't turn them off if you want)

Originally posted by azr View Post
          Congratulations on getting one of the rarest bikes. It's the only 850 with a kick start and you'll be shocked how far you can go between fill ups. Great bikes, can't wait to see her.
          Yeah, there's just something cool about kick starting an old Jap bike. The range might be partly due to the size of the tank - 5.5 gallons I think?
          Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by corax View Post
            I'm glad to see you got the air filter box on, I never could seem to finesse it on properly. Really happy that it looks like my bike found a good home

I found the cam covers (still shiny black) and I'll have them in the mail for you along with the original (at least the one that was on when I bought it) engine guard. You may need to source 8 tapered screws to bolt the covers on - I included the SS alan screws that I had for them, but I think they're too small to work.

Also, I forgot to mention the headlight on/off switch on the left side controls was made to work years ago - so you can turn the headlight off if, for some reason, you feel the need to. Just wanted to make mention of that so you don't inadvertanatly ride with the lights out (easily glued back into the "on" position so you can't turn them off if you want)
            Between me, my dad, and my best friend, we'll take very good care of her. As far as the light switch goes, I don't plan on glueing the switch permantly on. I like having the option to turn them off. When you rebuilt the motor, did you notice what sounds like the cam chain slappin inside the motor? Oddly enough, it didn't make that sound when I came up to PA but did it as soon as I got home.

Comment

I installed new chain guides and set tension, but I don't recall hearing anything before or after.

Comment

Here's the pics Keith sent me to hold ya'll over till I get better ones.

Comment

So I took her down to my parts shop to have my buddy Dean look and listen to her. The noise is confirmed to be the cam chain. She's also not running at 100% so I need to rebuild the carbs. They have been cleaned (very well) about 2 weeks ago. So I'm looking to order rebuild kits on payday.
                  Yesterday, I got a call from Dean letting me know that he just got an 850G in his shop so I'll be heading down today to strip the hell outta this bike. If anyone needs/wants parts off this one, let me know ASAP. I plan on getting the tank (if clean), carbs, saddlebags & mounts, and a few other misc parts for myself. I think its a 79 but it could be an 80. Pics to come this weekend (I found my camera).

Comment

Do you know if the rear brake light lenses caps are the same as my 82 GS650g?

Comment

No they are not BUT I will see if he has one.

Comment

Thank you I would appreciate that.

Comment

Russell, they might have one down there, they just have to look. Didn't have one right there but I'll check later this week.

So I was able to pick up the saddle bags and bracket at the shop. VERY happy with them. Need a lil cleaning and paint but they are perfect. The only problem is that the bracket is for an 82 850 and all the mounting points don't match up perfect. So I'll need to figure out something later. Here are pics for all to enjoy.

One bag and the bracket.

Look ma, no seat!

Mocked up the bracket and one bag.

Finished installing and properly wiring in the turn signals.

It was fun tryin to reinstall the seat. Had to take off the grab bar to make it work.

Comment

I had a pair of saddlebags just like those that I installed on mine, then crashed it last year, wiped out the right side saddlebag. Now the ones I have on the bike are slightly smaller, but they work too. Don't forget to latch them and lock them when you ride off, I've had mine fall open on a big bump in the road with wind to help in the opening of them.

Comment

NICE! I'm jealous. I have an 80 but it's basically a parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X