Rear Brake , Bad or Good ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Brake , Bad or Good ?

Does this mean it's good with plenty of life , or bad needs replacing .
    I'm looking in here cause after I stop , take off then go to use the rear brake again it locks up the back wheel for a split second when I go to use it again , which is making me feel unsettled ...

Pull it apart and look at the linings on the brake shoes. According to those marks you are OK but you need to know for sure. Something is not right.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

well yes I am not quite in there yet , having a snack break , just wondering what I can tell from these markings

Comment

You need to check it to make sure. last owner may have indexed it wrong. How tight is the adjustment ? TRy loosing it up some for more travel

Comment

It was a bit tight as suggested but also , loose bolt . I'll just show some pics since I can't recall its name for now . PO had just put in a random bolt that did not suit and has come loose

the offending bolt

The rest looked perfect , sort of , noticed a bit of chain missing while I was down there :O so that will have to be replaced aswell .

Comment

Hmmm that's definitely not right! Random bolt for sure!

I'm just rebuilding mine at the moment, and having just put my rear brake all together again, I can tell you that that marking says you have plenty of lining left, but there's definitely ways you can get it adjusted so it looks like plenty of meat is left when there's not.

I haven't gotten to adjusting mine yet or torqueing anything up properly though.

Not a spectacular photo but the only close up I have of that area...

1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

I would start with new shoes and hardware, clean out the drum real real good, maybe replace the inner springs and install everything back to the OEM setting. I think your problem will go away.

Comment

Working...
              X