Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Change sprockets for more low end torque?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change sprockets for more low end torque?

My 1980 GS450 needs a new chain, and im thinking of changing the sprockets while im at it.
    If I just go up in the rear sprocket, will there be a noticeable difference?
    How many teeth can I go up? stock is 41.
    Can I still use a stock chain?

Thanks!!
    DG

I would go down 1 in the front. Just remember it will rev higher while cruising. YOU must replace the sprockets when you replace the chain, do it as a set..

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
      My 1980 GS450 needs a new chain, and im thinking of changing the sprockets while im at it.
      If I just go up in the rear sprocket, will there be a noticeable difference?
      How many teeth can I go up? stock is 41.
      Can I still use a stock chain?

Thanks!!
      DG
      Apparently someone has changed that, the parts fiche shows a 45 as standard.

A stock front sprocket is 16.

Changing back to a 45-tooth sprocket on the rear will raise your engine speed about 10%.
      That should give you that extra low-end grunt you are looking for.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

thanks, so if I go down 1 on he front sprocket, and get the stock size replacement for the rear, should I get a stock size chain(530)?

Comment

hell why does no one build a derailleur system for motorcycles.
          A suicide shifter hooked to a derailleur.
          now that would make yer 520 chain converts turn their heads.

anyone here a machinist?

Oh and if you are changing the front sprocket down one tooth you will have a bit more chain which will probably still fall withint eh range of adjustment for your bike.
          there are some good guides out there on sprocket manu websites
          for this sort of thing

Comment

Thanks!
            Im trying to find info online but im having trouble,
            What If I go down one in the front, and up one in the rear? Will the stock size chain fit that way?
            Or Could I go 2 down in the front and 1 up in the rear?

Thanks for the help!!
            DG

Comment

Since you should get new sprockets along with your new chain, just go stock all the way (16/45) and don't worry about adding one or dropping one.

Run that combination, then see if you want to modify from there. Since your current gearing is not stock, it will help to start from a known configuration.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

thanks! I was thinking hat my stock rear was 41?

Comment

Originally posted by djg42 View Post
                  thanks! I was thinking hat my stock rear was 41?
                  That might be what's on there now, but I checked two different sources, they both had your stock rear sprocket as a 45.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

450's are definitely 45 tooth rear standard... I just bought a brand newy for mine
                    1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                    1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

HOLD UP! I see in your sig that you have a 1980 GS450. But we also need to know the model. Is it the E/S model or L model?

The E and S models both use 16 front and 45 rear. And a 530x104 chain.

The L uses a 16 front and 41 rear. And a 530x102 chain.

Let us know what model your GS450 is. We don't want you to buy the wrong sprockets

Comment

ooops,my fault-i have a 450L. Thanks!

Comment

Interestingly enough, the two sources I checked to verify the 45-tooth sprockets did not show a sprocket for the L.

Even though the sig says "450", I checked for the L, just to be sure.

Now that you have seen how important it can be, please update your signature to say "450L".

sigpic
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride

Comment

Good call FC, I had no idea the L's had a different rear sprocket. Wonder if the same goes for the T's?
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                              Good call FC, I had no idea the L's had a different rear sprocket. Wonder if the same goes for the T's?
                              Yeah, I've been looking deep into the L's chain and sprockets because I need some new ones... Long overdue lol

A "T" is basically the same thing as an "L". The only difference I know of is the seat. My guess would be that the "T" and "L" use the same chain and sprockets.

Comment

Working...
                              X