My new project 1982 GS650G

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new project 1982 GS650G

This bike was a gift so yes the price is right. When he dropped it off I could not believe how good of shape it is in. It does not currently run but I think if I drain the bad gas that has been sitting for 4 years and rebuild the carbs plus the other general maintenance stuff it will run. I am now pondering if after I get it to run If I want to strip the bike down and repaint the frame and wheels and etcs. Let me know what you think!!!

nice

thats very nice. i wouldnt do to much unless u r bored.. when u get to stripin it down u will find all kinds of things wrong that would have prob never happened if u just would ride it like u stole it. where u get that gift from the show room dam.. nice bike...

Comment

Dang, eddie, somebody stole the "Y" and "O" keys off your keyboard.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by russellhartzell View Post
        This bike was a gift so yes the price is right. When he dropped it off I could not believe how good of shape it is in. It does not currently run but I think if I drain the bad gas that has been sitting for 4 years and rebuild the carbs plus the other general maintenance stuff it will run. I am now pondering if after I get it to run If I want to strip the bike down and repaint the frame and wheels and etcs. Let me know what you think!!!
        Personally, in the condition that's in I wouldn't.

I neglected mine for a few years when I didn't have the cash to do the chain, sprockets, and rear tyre, and decided to do a frame up on it, and it's a lot of work if you are hard up on spare time like me. Five years after starting to dismantle it I'm finally making some progress

I'd get it running well then just ride it and deal with any issues if and when they crop up.

Nice score on that one
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Whats a good way to clean up the chrome?

Comment

Whats a good way to clean up the chrome?
            Turtle Wax (or similar) chrome cleaner works well. If the pieces are porous, or have lots of nooks and crannies, Evapo Rust eats off rust nicely (Harbor Freight sells it for $20/gallon). Oxalic acid also works great to remove rust. Deck wash concentrate contains oxalic acid. Make a weak solution and soak the parts in a tub. Takes off rust without hurting the base metal. Spray the parts down with WD-40 or wax afterwords to protect them.

Project looks good. I wouldn't strip it either.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
              Dang, eddie, somebody stole the "Y" and "O" keys off your keyboard.

Seriously LMAO!!
              sigpicSome of the totally committed probably should be.
              '58 + '63 Vespa 150's' (London, GB/RI, US)
              '67 X6 T20 ('67 Long Beach, Ca.- misty-eyed)
              '71 Kaw. A1-ugh ('71 SF, CA- worked @ Kaw dlr)
              '66 Yam. YL1('72 SF-commuter beater)
              '73 Kaw. S2A-2Xugh ('73 SF-still parts slave)
              '78 GS 750C ('77 SF-old faithful-killed by son)
              '81 KZ 750E ('81 SF-back to Kaw. dlr)
              '81 GS 650G ('08 back to NE&ME- (project)
              '82 GS '82 (2) GS650GZ, L, Middlebury, G current

Comment

What is the easiest way to get the CARBS off? I have the original suzuki service manual and the carb info from this site but neither tell me the best way to get them off the bike. Please help

Comment

What is the easiest way to get the CARBS off? I have the original suzuki service manual and the carb info from this site but neither tell me the best way to get them off the bike. Please help

I contend thats there is an engineer somewhere who is laughing his a$$ off over how "easy" it is to get the carbs off.

The air box needs to move backwards as far as possible. With all boot clamps lossened up, slowly work it out one side. Patience and cool temper needed. I skipped alot of disconect but you'll figure that out.

I think the stock lines of the 650g are one of the nicest of all GS bikes. I wouldn't strip anything I could'nt reinstall to stock at some point. Check the rear spline on the wheel ( driven hub/gear?).

cg
                  sigpic
                  83 GS1100g
                  2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

I forgot to mention that it came with the original owners manual, the original suzuki service manual and even had riding tip phamplet from suzuki

Comment

I forgot to mention that it came with the original owners manual, the original suzuki service manual and even had riding tip phamplet from suzuki
                      That's what I thought I saw by your battery in the picture. I have a Clymers manual as well. Together they are good references. Individually somewhat lacking.

cg
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Get in running and ride the crap out of it! Its pretty enough the way it is. Spend an afternoon with the elbow grease and polish it I think you'll be amazed how nice it is.

Comment

I finally got the carbs loose and now I attempting to figure out how to disconnect the cables

Comment

That looks like its in very good shape.

Comment

Very nice looking! mileage? Now that you got carbs off, you've been paying attention to all those posts on here regarding boots and o-rings- right???? Clean the carbs correctly and you will have a smooth running bike.
                              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Working...
                              X