81 GS750 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

81 GS750 Build

I guess I should probably do a build page. I'm not too good about taking pictures, as I usually get caught up in the work and forget, but I'll try my best.

I'm starting with a 1981 GS750E that I found in a hay barn near Luckenbach TX about 5 years ago. The bike only showed 1143 mi on the clock and most all the parts were there. The PO had given it a Krylon black paint job and all the turn signals and tail light lens were broken.

Once I got it home, I pulled the right side cover and checked to see if the engine was still free. I was able to turn it over about 3 full revolutions and everything felt good! Next thing I did was strip every part off the bike and start the cleaning process. Bearings, cables, brakes, tires, carbs, forks and other tid bits got replaces or rebuilt along with custom candy blue paint. I fired the bike up for first time and heard an awful grinding noise and I shut it down right away. I ended up having to change jobs and move so the bike got put in storage at a friends house for the next 4 years. During that time, someone moved it out to make room and never put it back inside, so it sat in the weather for 2 of those 4 years.

That brings us to current day. About a month ago, I got the old GS and moved it into my workshop. Time to start from square one again!

I didn't really have a vision for the bike, until I stumbled upon the forums here at GSR. After looking at the members bikes, I decided that a GSXR suspension swap was the way to go. With the help of the members here I knew what to look for and found a 1993 GSX-R front end, brake system, and both wheels! Getting the front on was a snap, with the help of makenzie71 the swingarm will be modified to accept the 5.5 rear wheel.

Now to address that grinding noise I heard when I started it a few years ago. I should have paid closer attention back then to the fact that the tach drive gear was broken around the threaded part and the flat key that slips into the cable was broken. I removed the valve cover (that was a PIA, another story) and found that the worm gear on the exhaust camshaft was chewed up really bad. Fished around with a magnet under the cam and pulled up some chunks of the gear. Thanks to GSR member blowerbike, I should have some 1100 cams in the next day or so! I ended up dropping the oil pan and everything looked nice and clean. Even ran the oil through a fine paint strainer and no more metal was found, so I think I dodged a bullet there.

While waiting for the cams, I have replaced all the electrical connectors that looked to be in bad shape, added relays for the coils, horn, headlamp, headlamp kill when start, and a 12v accessory plug. More info I found here since becoming a GSR member.

Last night I made some templates for the GSXR rear sets and will run them down to the machine shop Monday to get cut out.

Since the factory headlamp mounting hardware was missing I was at a loss. Should I try to track down all the components, or go aftermarket? I found this for cheap, and figured I'd give it a try.

As soon as the headlight assy comes in and I track down a front fender it will be time for paint. I'm open for suggestions. Currently thinking about something like the paint scheme on Kochic's bike or Agemax's GS.

-Randy

Just finished installing the cams and adjusting the valves. Was hoping to try and start it up, but noticed the porcelain on the number 2 spark plug was cracked. After I get some plugs tomorrow, I'll try to fire it up and start tuning the carbs.

Comment

10/24/2010

I have the paint work finished, and installed it today to see how it looks.
      The headlamp is aftermarket for a MX bike, but is D.O.T approved and has two 55w H3 bulbs, (plenty bright). I decided what the heck and continued the paint scheme onto the gauge cluster, it's different and the looks of the front end are growing on me more and more. The gauges are from a GS850, wanted the 140mph speedo

the seat should be in next week, still have some clean-up work to do on the engine, and replace the clutch hub nut with the APE part. The engine is running fairly well, but I still need to do some tuning with the new carbs, filters, and pipe.

Waiting on the swing arm to come back from being braced and widened to fit the 5.5" wheel, I'll post some pics of it before I mount it on the bike. Those ugly rear shocks will probably get cleaned up and krylon paint them flat black until I get cash for some Ohlins or similar type rears.

Other than that it's a ton of little stuff to do. Should be ready for South Texas winter riding.

Comment

Wow! Very nice job!

Comment

Hi,

I'm diggin' it. I like your paint scheme.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
          X