GS1100GKZ - Infernal Resurrection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100GKZ - Infernal Resurrection

Hey ya'll. Been on here a while workin on bringin my bathtub back to life. im ready to paint it today, but its a lil too cold to start, so I will do what I SHOULD have done when i started..

POST PROGRESS AND PICTURES (PPAG)!!!

So here goes:

I bought the bike for 800 thinking it was a deal (and it was, just not a great deal). so first thing, I can't seem to get it running right. Idles rough, hard start, battery dies slowly, PO painted over factory stickers and paint with rattle can without even SCUFFING the surface, the coils are weak and cruddy, rear brake was sealed off ( WTH!? on a 1000 pound bike?!) So let's start with the basics...

The Lair:

The Bathtub..

And the progress:
    I started by trying to track down the basics; hard starting, poor idle, battery dies. So, first thing's first. I ticked off a few ( or more) people by asking dumb questions and trying to skirt around spending money on it.. lol.. yeah right! I finally took everyone's advice like I SHOULD have done from the beginning! I bought a new high output stator and a Kawasaki 50A R/R and set them both up with connectors, cleaned and cleaned and cleaned and rebuilt the carbs with Dynajet Stage2, rewired half the wiring, rebuild the brake system, broke up the wiring loom and soldered EVERY factory crimp, and a bunch of other stuff. So here is where I'm at now:

rebuilding/jetting carbs:
    from this..

to this..

But wait! There's more!!

I feel I need to give some very important thank you's for people who have REALLY helped me out before i get too far......

kingofvenus (simple answer: igniter- it works or don't dummy)

Nessim (no need to overbuy ignition you fool)
    quote-
    Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    My thought is that you are not listening to me so I'm going to shut up now. If you go ahead and change the ignition please sell me that old, tired, sure to fail in the near future in the middle of nowhere ignitor of yours. I recently sold off my spare so someone could get their bike on the road and would like to replace it in the spares box.
    - and you can't have my ignition because you were right.. lol

chef1366 (Dynojet kit - hell yeah)

Theo (switching me on to Matchless's brilliant cross ref for R/R mod)

Matchless/posplayr (Rectifier mod and fitment - mmmm power)

Steve (Eastern Beaver connectors- for the win)

LARRY D (Elementary Watson- shut up and listen)
    Originally posted by Larry D View Post
    See post #13 of your other ignition thread.
    Originally posted by Larry D View Post
    Why are you so hung up on this ignition thing ? How long have you had this bike ? Is the only problem the bogging ? ....
    Basscliff (well.. EVERYTHING)
    Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM.

Pink Carburetors.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Here are some pics of my prep so far. I'm ready to lay down my paint today. Thank ya'll who chimed in and gave me some feedback. I think with the people rule a majority vote of my friends and others, that a gloss black will be the most generally accepted color for the bike when I sell it.. all too soon. and I'm planning on painting right when I'm done here.

bare fairing

primed

side view

side primed

UGLY

better..

holes and rough

doing the fill

easy does it

primed and ready
      Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2010, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        Pink Carburetors.
        LMAO!! no.. they are burnt orange brother.. adjust your monitor or get it away from the magnets.. lol.. jk... but yeah, they are burnt orange

Comment

What primers and paints are you going with? I have a few bikes lined up to paint.
          Last edited by tkent02; 10-09-2010, 12:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by POE_333 View Post
            ... I think with the people rule a majority vote of my friends and others, that a gloss black will be the most generally accepted color for the bike when I sell it.. [/IMG]
            lol.. sorry.. i had to pull a Larry D.. God I love ya'll! yeah. It's gonna be a nice smooth high gloss black. I'll be swimming the paint and it should look like black glass when I'm done!

I'm still considering the mellow sublime burnt orange ghost flames.. I dunno thuogh. Not gawdy, just mellow and faint. But I'm not sure.I still have time to decide.. What do you think?

Comment

I'm using a high build Duplicolor primer that, depending on which part, I'm thinning, or shooting thick to fill fissures and pits. The paint is a single stage PPG Shopline Grade automotive in high gloss black. Since I've done painting for a few years before I got a real job, I've still got all my stuff to do it. If you want some help, roll it on over, I'll paint, you bring the beer and materials! lol

listening to Fats Domino... GOTTA love that man! lol

Comment

Originally posted by POE_333 View Post
                I'll be swimming the paint and it should look like black glass when I'm done!
                What does swimming the paint mean?
                I googled it and got a bunch of swimming pool paint stuff.

Comment

sorry, I guess its more used where I live and the work I was doing.. it means keeping the paint wet enough (since I learned to paint in mass transit parking lots) that you can pull debris out of the paint before it builds a ridge that stays. typically it means you are thinning the paint into almost a tint and layering it for durability and the ability to (if you DID have debris to pull out) build over any potential build from the debris pushing the paint outwords as the capillary effect sucks the debris down to the paint. since im painting in my driveway, its almost required. I've only heard the term used by people who to high output paint like rental car lots repairs, airports buses. The bonus effect it has is that, when done right, you have no orange peel or very very little. Since high output is the goal for mass transit and rental, no wet sanding and no buffing is a MAJOR bonus. Sorry, I'm just used to using that word. I hope that makes sense to you as I'm horrible at being descriptive and explaining.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-09-2010, 02:19 PM.

Comment

OH! By the way, you will almost NEVER see those guys painting with 2 stage paint unless its a high end rental place with jags and beemers and the like.. but then again, they would always send those to a shop anyway.. not a parking lot paint slayer

Comment

Now all the parts are washed, Waiting on the nice Texas sun to dry it for an hour or so to do the first coats.. (drinking beer is not an option here! lol.. It's MANDATORY! "PCSHHH".... DOWN THE HOLE!!!)

Comment

Here is the first coat. Dang it's WINDY today! makin me nervous!

Comment

FRICKIN FRAKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! the dang strap i had holding my fairing up broke! WOOHOO!!! Let's break out the sand paper... AGAIN!!! GRRRRRRRRRRR Oh well.. Everything else is good though..

Comment

jeez u sure have a lot of energy!

Hey, nice painting skillz with your paintgun.
                            Will you use thinner layers after that first one?

i am asking because i don t really know anything useful about these techniques

PS : your carbs look a bit pink on my screen too! ( and the saturation is balanced, i work in CG arts :P)

Comment

Working...
                            X