Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to find information on parts?

Good evening!

Basically I'm a relatively new owner of a 1982 GS 450E. I've already gotten a little work done on it and it's up and running pretty nicely. Needs to have the carbs cleaned out but she's fine on the street. Love the bike.

Anyway, I was looking around on craigslist and saw an '84 450 parts bike for pretty cheap and I haven't the faintest idea of where to look to find out what parts might fit onto the 82 if I ever needed some extras. Does anyone know if there's any place to get parts diagrams or serial numbers or some such to tell if a particular part or other would fit the other bike? There's not anything that really needs to be replaced on the '82 right now but would be nice to have some spare parts just in case.

Thanks

First of all,

BassCliff is our official greeter, he will be along shortly with your "Welcome Package".

Hope you have a good internet connection and SEVERAL days to go through all the information he will toss in your lap.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

You could try the parts diagrams on Alphasports . Very handy .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Welcome to the forums, good choice on a 450 there I say, I have an '81 of the same bike and I love it too

Simon's suggestion is the best, and you can also put the part number from there into the search function at bikebandit.com and it will tell you what other models it's compatible with.

From everything I can tell, the 80 - 82 were very simliar models, but the cosmetics changed a lot from 83 onwards. Pretty sure the frame changed also.
        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Hey, welcome! Another Minnesotan from north of I-94! As said earlier, BassCliff will be along, but here's the link to his site with all kinds of good stuf relating to the GS bikes: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/bikecliff/ .
          Where in northern Minnesota might you be?

Comment

Welcome aboard!! Here's the parts fiche I use. I don't necessarily buy parts from them, although I have, but it's a great place to find part numbers, pictoral diagrams, and cross reference part number to years and models. Here's atip - if it has a price it's still available from Suzuki, otherwise shop eBay.

I mainly use it when shopping eBay for parts. Many times the sellers don't have that info, but if you know what years/models cross ref with yours you can find parts easier. I also use it when using the salvage yard search engines. Makes things easier if you know the OEM part number.

Good luck and you'll find plenty of answers to your GS questions here on GSR.

Jim

Comment

OEM Parts for Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Can-Am, Sea-Doo, and Vanderhall

Buy & sell electronics, cars, clothes, collectibles & more on eBay, the world's online marketplace. Top brands, low prices & free shipping on many items.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...splay.php?f=94 <--- couldn't help but add this one.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. 2Wheel_KungFu,

There is a procedure to compare part numbers between different bikes to find out which parts are cross-compatible. You'll find it on my little website along with a lot more GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks everyone for all the help! Great resources, can't wait to dig into it.

I'm in Duluth MN. Moved up here last year and so far been a great place to live.

Thanks Again,
                  Jason

Comment

This site is good too:

CMSNL specializes in Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki Motorcycle Parts, Yamaha and Suzuki OEM and Aftermarket Motorcycle Parts for Classic Bikes, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Snowmobiles and more
                    Current:
                    Z1300A5 Locomotive (swapped my Intruder for it), GS450 Cafe Project (might never finish it....), XT500 Commuter (I know - it's a Yamaha )

Past:
                    VL1500 Intruder (swapped for Z1300), ZX9R Streetfighter (lets face it - too fast....), 1984 GSX750EF, 1984 GSX1100EF (AKA GS1150)
                    And a bunch of other crap Yamahas....

Comment

Anyone have a good source for complete gasket kits for the 450? There is one on Ebay right now for an "L" that I think should be compatible with my 1981 450T, but would hate to drop money on something that won't work for me. I am remembering correctly that the engine were identical between all the 450s???

Thanks as always guys. I need to get this engine reassembled and off my work bench!

Best,
                      Mark

Comment

Partsnmore carries Athena gasket sets. They're made in Italy IIRC. Mixed reviews w/r/t gaskets; valve seals have a poor reputation. I rebuilt my motor (82 GS550) with a set (other than valve seals from noboru) with no complaints so far except that the head gasket is weeping oil, which was a problem it was having before. Maybe the head is just out of plane. The head gasket was the old style, not MLS. I'll probably try Suzuki OEM MLS head and base gaskets in the off-season. Spendy but always high quality. For $61 shipped it might be worth the risk to you though.

What might be of more interest to you is the compatibility info from the description:

Fits GS450/E/L/S/SX/T/TX 80-83

That tells me that if the "L" gasket set is for an 80-83 you should be OK. It wasn't like Suzuki to change engine parts across models.

Comment

Thanks Mike! I looked on their site earlier, but for some reason couldn't find that set. The L set on Ebay looks to be an Athena too, but lists 83-88. I think the partsnmore is the way to go.

Mark

Comment

Take care with the aftermarket kits.

Where I got my Athena kit from here in Brissie lists two different kits for 450's, one for 80 - 83, one for 82 - 88.

The 80 - 83 is apparently right for my 81 although I haven't gotten that far with assembly yet to see.

The other thing to note is that the green base gasket, oil seals, and O rings for the bottom end have had many bad reviews here, so I scored myself all the bottom end bits as NOS parts from a place here, and I would recommend you try to do the same if you can.

I won't be happy if top end gaskets fail, but I could cope with that. I would *really* be unhappy if the base gasket or something in the bottom end failed.
                            1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                            1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

World's largest online store of Motorcycle parts. Huge stock of custom parts, gears and OEM parts with various shipping and payment. Experience over 2mil. items and true Japaense quality & service.

This is a great site

Comment

Working...
                              X